How long has it been since you compared lower-priced GMC Sonoma insurance in San Diego? Locating more affordable San Diego GMC Sonoma insurance quotes can be challenging for vehicle owners who are new to comparing rates and buying auto insurance over the internet. When there are so many insurers available, how can anyone possibly compare every auto insurance company to find cheaper auto insurance prices?
A study showed that most auto insurance policyholders renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Consumers in California could cut their rates by up to $500 a year, but they just don’t want to shop their coverage around.
It’s a great practice to do price comparisons yearly because prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you found the best deal on GMC Sonoma insurance in San Diego at your last renewal there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to find out the easiest way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money on GMC Sonoma insurance in San Diego.
Just keep in mind that comparing more rates from different companies helps you find better pricing. Not every company provides online rate quotes, so it’s recommended that you also compare prices from them as well.
The companies shown below provide price quotes in San Diego, CA. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost, car insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will force you to have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your GMC at a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your GMC. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $869 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Popular car insurance providers such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive continually stream ads in print and on television. All the companies try to convey promises of big savings after switching your coverage to them. It sounds good, but how can they all say the same thing? It’s all in how they say it.
All the different companies quote their cheapest rates for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. For example, a profitable customer may be a mature driver, owns their home, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. A propective insured who fits those characteristics gets the lowest prices and as a result will probably cut their GMC Sonoma insurance rates if they switch.
Consumers who cannot meet these stringent criteria will be charged higher premiums which leads to the customer not purchasing. The ads state “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. This is how insurance companies can confidently lure you into getting a quote. This emphasizes why you really should get San Diego auto insurance quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will fit you best based on your risk profile.
Get cheaper GMC Sonoma insurance rates in San Diego
Some insurance providers do not advertise every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list both the well known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Distant Student Discount – Youth drivers who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
- Professional Organizations – Having an affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in San Diego could trigger savings when shopping for car insurance.
- Drivers Education – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them complete a driver education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
Don’t be shocked that some credits don’t apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic.
A few popular companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- American Family offers discounts for bundled insurance, multi-vehicle, accident-free, TimeAway discount, and defensive driver.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include family plan, business or organization, Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, and multi-policy.
- MetLife has discounts for multi-policy, good driver, claim-free, accident-free, and good student.
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for air bags, defensive driver, 55 and older, anti-lock brakes, driver training, student driver, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including teen driver, mature driver, youthful driver, good student, distant student, electronic funds transfer, and switch companies.
- Allstate may include discounts for premier plus, early signing, good payer, resident student, and farm vehicle.
Double check with each company which credits you are entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in your state. To locate providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click this link.
When should I get advice from a local insurance agent?
Some consumers just want to talk to an insurance agent and that can be a great decision A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered instantly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates without requiring a lot of work. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on a provider needs to be determined by more than just the price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Does the company have a local claim office in San Diego?
- Is the agent properly licensed in California?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
When researching a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in San Diego can either be exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can only provide one company’s prices and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Consumers frequently choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the brand legacy rather than having the cheapest rates.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in San Diego who may provide you with price quotes.
- Mike Moore – State Farm Insurance Agent
12880 Rancho Penasquitos Blvd d – San Diego, CA 92129 – (858) 484-1297 – View Map
- Deryk Inn – State Farm Insurance Agent
3633 Camino del Rio S #100 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 362-4820 – View Map
- John Tran – State Farm Insurance Agent
2820 Camino del Rio S Ste 310 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 291-1787 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents can quote rates with many companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies through lots of different companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you get quotes from a couple of independent agencies to maximize your price options. Most have the option of insuring with mutual insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in San Diego willing to provide price quote information.
- Anchor General Insurance Agency-Texas
10256 Meanley Dr – San Diego, CA 92131 – (858) 527-3600 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Keith Jackson Insurance Agency Inc
1081 Camino del Rio S Ste 210 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (916) 742-6995 – View Map
- Nickie Heath Insurance Agency
16855 W Bernardo Dr # 230 – San Diego, CA 92127 – (858) 487-3737 – View Map
Coverages available on your policy
Learning about specific coverages of car insurance can help you determine the right coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your Sonoma resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for claims such as crashing into a ditch, sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Sonoma to bring the cost down.
Coverage for liability – Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property. It protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 15/30/5 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers things such as bail bonds, loss of income and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your GMC Sonoma.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for expenses for nursing services, X-ray expenses, EMT expenses and hospital visits. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive coverage – Comprehensive insurance covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like a broken windshield, rock chips in glass and hitting a deer. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Compare but don’t skimp
We just showed you a lot of tips how to get a better price on GMC Sonoma insurance in San Diego. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies.
The cheapest GMC Sonoma insurance in San Diego is attainable both online and also from your neighborhood San Diego agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies do not offer rates over the internet and usually these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent agents.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation, extreme rates for teen drivers and even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right auto insurance provider is easier than you think.
To learn more, feel free to visit the following helpful articles:
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in San Diego, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are San Diego Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)