Would you like to stop overpaying and find more affordable Subaru Outback insurance in San Diego? Paying for expensive Subaru Outback insurance in San Diego can deplete your bank account and put a big crunch on your finances.
Unbelievable but true according to a study most car insurance buyers have bought car insurance from the same company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared car insurance rates at all. The average driver in California could cut their rates by almost 35% a year, but they don’t know the benefits if they just switched companies. You have so many car insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to have a choice, lots of choices makes it harder to compare rates and find the lowest cost car insurance.
Why You Might Pay Higher Rates in San Diego
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, but some are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate prices.
Avoid unnecessary add-on coverages – There are a lot of additional extra coverages that sound like a good idea at the time when buying car insurance. Insurance for coverage for rental cars, towing coverage, and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. They may sound like good ideas when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
Premiums increase with driving tickets – Careful drivers have lower premiums compared to bad drivers. Having a single chargeable violation can increase the cost of insurance by as much as twenty percent. People who have careless tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find that they have to to complete a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
Improve your credit rating – Having a bad credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your Subaru Outback by repairing your credit. People with excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible than drivers who have lower ratings.
Married drivers pay less – Having a significant other helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Loss statistics for a Subaru Outback – Companies analyze past claim statistics to calculate a rate that will offset any claims. Vehicles that tend to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher cost to insure.
The table below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Subaru Outback vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles as a whole is represented as 100. Percentage numbers below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers above 100 point to more frequent losses or statistically larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Subaru Outback Models
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Subaru Outback 4WD||58||68||106||63||64||68|
|Subaru Outback with Eyesight 4WD||57||46||106||61||58||40|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Finding cheaper Subaru Outback car insurance quotes is actually easier than you may think. Consumers just need to spend a little time to get quotes from different insurance companies.
Comparing quotes online is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to drive around to insurance agents’ offices. Doing it all online has reduced the need for local agents unless you require the professional abilities that only a licensed agent can provide. Although you can comparison shop online but still have the advice of a local agent.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in San Diego, CA. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you click on several of them to get the lowest price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$490||$686||$578||$34||$174||$1,962||$164|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$330||$570||$416||$24||$124||$1,464||$122|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$332||$564||$500||$30||$150||$1,576||$131|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$300||$564||$500||$30||$150||$1,544||$129|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Rate quotes do not factor in garaging location in San Diego which can impact prices noticeably.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only
The example below shows the comparison of Subaru Outback car insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premiums assume no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule for phasing out full coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is more than 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Subaru Outback book value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying in excess of $700 a year to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Bad driving habits will cost you more
The illustration below highlights how speeding tickets and accident claims can raise Subaru Outback insurance premiums for each different age category. The premiums assume a married male driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Rate comparison of male drivers versus female drivers
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Subaru Outback premium costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Big names are not always cheapest
Consumers in California can’t get away from all the ads for cheaper insurance from the likes of State Farm and Allstate. All the companies convey the message about how much you will save if you change your policy.
How does every company have lower policy pricing? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies provide the lowest rates for the type of driver that will be a good risk. For instance, a preferred risk might have to be between the ages of 30 and 50, has never had a policy lapse, and has excellent credit. Any new insured that matches those criteria may get the lowest premium rates in San Diego and is almost guaranteed to save some money.
People who cannot meet this stringent profile will be quoted a higher rate which leads to the customer not purchasing. The trick is to say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much when switching. That is how insurance companies can confidently make claims that they all have the best car insurance rates. This illustrates why it is so important to compare quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict with any certainty which company will be your best fit.
Choosing Subaru vehicle insurance is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Subaru Outback insurance, car insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Subaru has a lien holder, most lenders will require you to have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Subaru at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Subaru but also your assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Outback more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in California overpays more than $850 per year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
San Diego insurance discounts for a Subaru Outback
Car insurance companies don’t always list all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits available to you.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower price if you buy life insurance from them.
- Claim-Free Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts when compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your San Diego car insurance quote.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Having more than one vehicle on a single policy qualifies for this discount.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving less can qualify you for lower car insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower prices.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current expiration date. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
We need to note that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
If you would like to see a list of providers with discount rates in California, click here.
Auto insurance is available from your local insurance agencies
Some people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that Professional insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is you may find the lowest rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in San Diego that give free quotes for your business. You won’t even need to visit any agencies because prices are sent to your email. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking the best insurer is decision based upon more than just the price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
Shown below is a list of insurers in San Diego that may be able to provide price quote information for Subaru Outback insurance in San Diego.
State Farm: Tom Latsko
8680 Navajo Rd #214 – San Diego, CA 92119 – (619) 462-5701 – View Map
3945 Idaho St – San Diego, CA 92104 – (619) 293-3800 – View Map
Steve Elder – State Farm Insurance Agent
9225 Mira Mesa Blvd #208d – San Diego, CA 92126 – (858) 271-8928 – View Map
Kristin Francy – State Farm Insurance Agent
9888 Carmel Mountain Rd Ste A – San Diego, CA 92129 – (858) 484-4141 – View Map
Compare but don’t skimp
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
We just presented many ideas to reduce Subaru Outback insurance premium rates online in San Diego. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the most savings is with the least-expected company. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
More tips and info about insurance is available in the articles below:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Good Students in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Diego Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)