Do you want to learn to get cheaper auto insurance rates in San Diego, CA? San Diego shoppers have many options when shopping for the lowest priced Toyota Yaris iA insurance. They can either waste time calling around trying to get quotes or utilize the internet to compare rates.
There are both good and bad ways to buy auto insurance and we’ll show you the proper way to quote coverages on a Toyota and obtain the best price possible either online or from San Diego insurance agents.
Unfortunately, over 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Many drivers in California could save about 35% every year just by shopping around, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they switch to a new company.
This article’s intent is to let you in on the best ways to compare prices and how you can save the most money. If you have auto insurance now, you will most likely be able to save money using the ideas presented in this article. Shoppers just need to use the most efficient way to quote multiple rates online.
Getting a cheaper price on Toyota Yaris iA insurance is actually easier than you may think. Consumers just need to take time comparing price quotes from online providers.
The companies in the list below provide price comparisons in California. If more than one company is shown, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Despite the high cost, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Toyota, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so you should quote rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get lower-cost rates on Toyota Yaris iA insurance in San Diego with these nine discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise every discount available very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- San Diego Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in San Diego can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction with a few car insurance companies.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying a new car model can save up to 30% since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a family member in the military can result in better prices.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Clubs and Organizations – Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on your next car insurance statement.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic.
A list of car insurance companies and their possible discounts include:
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, and online signing.
- MetLife includes discounts for good driver, good student, accident-free, claim-free, and multi-policy.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for ease of repair, annual mileage, low natural disaster claims, type of vehicle, multi-policy, and location of vehicle.
- Nationwide has savings for business or organization, multi-policy, easy pay, Farm Bureau membership, and good student.
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, defensive driver, federal employee, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, multi-policy, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA may include discounts for education and occupation, pay-in-full, anti-theft, good student, and good driver.
Double check with each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some credits may not apply in San Diego. To see car insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in California, click this link.
Car insurance agents near you
Many people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Licensed agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. A nice benefit of comparing car insurance online is the fact that you can find better rates but also keep your business local. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is definitely important in San Diego.
After filling out this simple form, your information is sent to participating agents in San Diego who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. If you need to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
San Diego car insurance agents come in two flavors
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies from which to choose. Agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can write car insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning why they differ since it can impact the selection process.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
These type of agents do not have single company limitations and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move your policy to a different company without you having to go to a different agency.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, we recommend you get quotes from independent agents to have the best price comparison. Most can insure with companies you’ve never heard of which could offer lower prices.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in San Diego that may be able to give competitive price quotes.
- Rubin Insurance
6363 Greenwich Dr #120 – San Diego, CA 92122 – (858) 457-5720 – View Map
- Stanley Wong Insurance
4619 Convoy St # C – San Diego, CA 92111 – (858) 569-0383 – View Map
- Kostyo Insurance Agency
4456 Vandever Ave #10 – San Diego, CA 92120 – (619) 325-3600 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can usually just insure with one company such as Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are well schooled on sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Drivers often buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in San Diego who can help you get price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: PGC Insurance Agency
6919 Paradise Valley Rd, # A9 – San Diego, CA 92139 – (619) 773-2300 – View Map
- Steve Lewis – State Farm Insurance Agent
7424 Jackson Dr Ste 7 – San Diego, CA 92119 – (619) 466-3276 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Patrick Wang
8650 Genesee Ave Ste 108 – San Diego, CA 92122 – (858) 623-3344 – View Map
Picking an auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. Any agent in San Diego should be willing to answer these questions.
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Where would glass claims be handled in San Diego?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
When to get professional advice
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if you could use an agent’s help.
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Will my Toyota Yaris iA be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Car insurance coverage information
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Medical expense coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for bills for things like rehabilitation expenses, chiropractic care, X-ray expenses, surgery and EMT expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover both the driver and occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Toyota Yaris iA.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5 in California), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
This covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like damage from a tornado or hurricane, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and hitting a deer. The highest amount your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability coverage protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. It protects YOU against other people’s claims, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for things like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, loss of income, court costs, repair costs for stationary objects and medical expenses. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying higher limits if possible. California requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
Auto collision coverage
Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things like driving through your garage door, scraping a guard rail and damaging your car on a curb. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your Yaris iA to bring the cost down.
Compare but don’t skimp
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
We just showed you a lot of information how to shop for Toyota Yaris iA insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Affordable Toyota Yaris iA insurance in San Diego is definitely available both online and also from your neighborhood San Diego agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional insurance providers sell through local independent agencies.
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Police Officers in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for 19 Year Olds in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)