Locating budget San Diego Saturn Sky insurance quotes over the internet is problematic for drivers new to comparison shopping on the internet. With such a large choice of insurers to choose from, how can drivers have time to compare every one to find the best price?
It’s hard to believe, but over 70% of drivers kept buying from the same company for four years or more, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. California drivers could save up to 35% a year by just comparing quotes, but most just don’t grasp the amount of savings they would get if they switch to a new company.
Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in San Diego is much easier if you know where to start. Essentially everyone who compares rates for car insurance will probably be able to cut their insurance bill. But California car owners need to have an understanding of how big insurance companies charge you for coverage and use it to find better rates.
Keep in mind that comparing a large number of companies helps locate a better price. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online price quotes, so it’s important to compare rates from those companies as well.
The following companies can provide price comparisons in San Diego, CA. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Earn discounts on San Diego car insurance
Companies do not advertise the complete list of policy discounts very well, so the list below details a few of the more common and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Student Discounts – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Active Service Discounts – Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you can actually save on your bill.
- Waiver for an Accident – This isn’t a discount exactly, but companies like Allstate and State Farm will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control are much safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Anti-theft System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of up to 25% or more.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic. But all discounts will reduce your overall premium however.
Larger car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are outlined below.
- AAA offers discounts for good driver, education and occupation, multi-car, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
- Progressive includes discounts for continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online signing, good student, and homeowner.
- State Farm offers discounts including safe vehicle, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, accident-free, and anti-theft.
- Esurance may include discounts for multi-policy, paid-in-full, defensive driver, Pac-12 alumni, claim free, anti-lock brakes, and emergency road assistance.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including accident-free, easy pay, business or organization, defensive driving, and Farm Bureau membership.
It’s a good idea to ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in San Diego. For a list of providers that offer some of these discounts in California, follow this link.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Saturn Sky in San Diego, maintaining insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
First, almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your Sky, most lenders will require you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your Saturn at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
Third, insurance protects both your Saturn Sky and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Saturn as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your Sky greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in California is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Do I just need basic coverages?
Always remember that when buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. You are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Do I have newly-aquired coverage?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
When to talk to a local insurance agent
Some people still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and doing so can bring peace of mind One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap auto insurance quotes and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in San Diego who will give you bids for your business. You won’t need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to you. Get lower rates without having to waste a lot of time. If for some reason you want to compare rates from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an provider needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions to ask:
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- How many years have they been established?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in San Diego?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
How to choose the best auto insurance agent in San Diego
When narrowing the list to find a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they can write your policy. Auto insurance agents can be described as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Agents in the exclusive channel are contracted to one company such as AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers frequently choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the brand legacy rather than having the cheapest rates.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Diego who may provide you with comparison quotes.
- Mike Morrell – State Farm Insurance Agent
2207 Garnet Ave a – San Diego, CA 92109 – (858) 273-3001 – View Map
- Mike Moore – State Farm Insurance Agent
12880 Rancho Penasquitos Blvd d – San Diego, CA 92129 – (858) 484-1297 – View Map
- Mike Foley – State Farm Insurance Agent
5210 Balboa Ave, Ste A1 – San Diego, CA 92117 – (858) 277-1400 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, we recommend you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Shown below are San Diego independent insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
- ARROWHEAD General Insurance Agency, Inc.
701 B St #2100 – San Diego, CA 92101 – (619) 744-5000 – View Map
- Curtis Moring Insurance Agency Inc.
5425 Oberlin Dr #201 – San Diego, CA 92121 – (619) 718-7578 – View Map
- Alcott Insurance
3945 Idaho St – San Diego, CA 92104 – (619) 293-3800 – View Map