Want low-cost Honda Accord insurance in San Diego? Are you regretting the purchase of high-priced Honda Accord insurance in San Diego? Trust us when we tell you there are lots of people in the same boat.
It’s shocking but most car insurance policyholders in California have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Drivers in the U.S. could pocket approximately $850 a year just by comparing rates, but they feel it’s too difficult to go online and compare rates.
Big-name insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive continually bombard you with catchy ads and it can be hard to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and find the best price available.
You should make it a habit to do rate comparisons periodically because prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you found the lowest quotes on Honda Accord insurance in San Diego a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. You’ll find a ton of advice on Accord insurance on the web, but we’re going to give you a lot of great tips on how to buy car insurance cheaper in San Diego.
If you have auto insurance now, you will definitely be able to buy cheaper auto insurance using the concepts you’re about to learn. Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in San Diego can be much easier if you know how to start. Although California consumers do need to learn how companies calculate your auto insurance rates and use it to your advantage.
Best companies for competitive Honda Accord insurance in California
The following companies are our best choices to provide price quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$472||$376||$22||$112||$1,280||$107|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,134||$95|
|Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$324||$648||$454||$26||$136||$1,588||$132|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$472||$376||$22||$112||$1,280||$107|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$178||$292||$384||$22||$114||$990||$83|
|Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$368||$672||$384||$22||$114||$1,560||$130|
|Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$252||$502||$514||$30||$154||$1,452||$121|
|Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$310||$624||$514||$30||$154||$1,632||$136|
|Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$370||$792||$524||$32||$156||$1,874||$156|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Prices do not factor in San Diego location which can increase or decrease premiums substantially.
Responsible drivers pay cheaper San Diego auto insurance rates
The diagram below demonstrates how speeding tickets and fender-benders can drive up Honda Accord insurance costs for each age group. Data assumes a single male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord liability rates compared to full coverage
The information below illustrates the comparison of Honda Accord premium costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The rate quotes are based on no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, single male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no written rule of when to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than around 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Honda Accord book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $4,000 after paying your deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $400 annually for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few situations where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
An analysis of deductible level
The diagram below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Honda Accord insurance costs for each age group. The rates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
How Insurers Determine Honda Accord Insurance Rates
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that aid in calculating your premiums. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get lower premium levels. Multiple criteria are used when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although some other factors are less apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
The items below are some of the factors used by insurance companies to determine prices.
- Safer the car lower the rate – Cars with high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you. If your Honda scored at minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may be receiving lower rates.
- Is your car, truck or SUV built for speed? – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. Since the Honda Accord is a passenger car, insurance will be similar in price or lower when compared to the average rates in San Diego. The lowest performance passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- Women tend to cost less – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown women are more cautious behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Men and women are in at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also get higher numbers of serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Liability protection – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you in the event that a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- More people means more accidents – Living in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when buying auto insurance. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. People in densely populated areas regularly have more road rage incidents and higher rates of accident claims. More time behind the wheel statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- Car features that cut auto insurance rates – Buying a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
- Auto insurance rates and your vocation – Occupational choices like real estate brokers, executives and accountants have higher premiums than the average policyholder attributed to intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like actors, historians and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Honda Accord claim statistics – Companies include the past claim trends for vehicles when they set coverage costs for each model. Models that statistically have higher claim amounts or frequency will have increased rates. The table below outlines the historical insurance loss data for Honda Accord vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles averaged together is set at 100. Numbers under 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while percentages above 100 point to more claims or tendency to have higher losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Honda Accord Vehicles
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Accord 91 85 90 122 117 94 Honda Accord Hybrid 96 80 98 89 76 84 Honda Accord Crosstour 4dr 2WD 85 97 83 122 113 94 Honda Accord Crosstour 4dr 4WD 99 102 94 120 93
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Don’t overlook these Honda Accord insurance discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there could be significant discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but some must be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you combine your auto and home policies with the same insurance company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Student Driver Training – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them successfully complete driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school may save you up to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Renewal Discounts – A few companies offer discounts for switching companies early. It can save you around 10%.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new Accord is cheaper since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky. But any discount will bring down your overall bill.
Large auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, good student, five-year accident-free, federal employee, and emergency military deployment.
- USAA offers premium reductions for military installation, vehicle storage, new vehicle, safe driver, and multi-policy.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, and online signing.
- American Family offers discounts for good driver, defensive driver, accident-free, air bags, and good student.
- Esurance may include discounts for claim free, Pac-12 alumni, online shopper, homeowner, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for youthful driver, early shopping, alternative fuel, electronic funds transfer, and business and professional.
- State Farm has discounts for safe vehicle, defensive driving training, multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, and multiple policy.
Check with every insurance company how you can save money. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in California, click here to view.
When should I talk to an agent?
A lot of people just prefer to sit down with an agent. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, your insurance data is immediately sent to local insurance agents that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. You can find lower rates AND a local agent. If you wish to get a price quote for a specific company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Deciding on an insurance company should include more criteria than just a low price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
Be persistent to save money
We just showed you many ideas to shop for Honda Accord insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with an unexpected company. Some small companies often have lower rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Cheaper Honda Accord insurance in San Diego can be found online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Additional auto insurance information can be read at these links:
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- How Much is San Diego Car Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Felons in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)