I doubt anyone looks forward to paying for insurance, especially when the cost is too high.
Shocking but true, most California insurance customers have remained with the same insurance company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Consumers in the United States could save as much as $860 every year by just shopping around, but they assume it’s a waste of time to shop their coverage around.
Many auto insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance companies to find the absolute lowest cost out there.
You should take the time to check insurance prices quite often since rates go up and down regularly. Just because you found the best rate on Mazda 5 insurance in San Diego last year you can probably find a lower rate today. There is a lot of wrong information about 5 insurance on the internet, but you can learn a lot of great tips on how to lower your insurance premiums.
The are a couple different ways of comparing price quotes from different San Diego insurance companies. One of the best ways to find cheaper rates is to perform an online rate comparison.
Comparing rate quotes online is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to drive around to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to buy insurance online has made agencies unnecessary unless your situation requires the trained guidance of a licensed agent. It is possible with some companies obtain prices from the web but buy the policy through an agent.
Just remember that getting more free quotes provides better odds of finding the best price.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in San Diego, CA. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|5 Sport Station Wagon||$332||$564||$376||$22||$112||$1,406||$117|
|5 Touring Station Wagon||$210||$362||$376||$22||$112||$1,082||$90|
|5 Grand Touring Station Wagon||$368||$672||$384||$22||$114||$1,560||$130|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in San Diego location which can raise or lower coverage rates considerably.
Age-based auto insurance rates by gender
The example below illustrates the difference between Mazda 5 premium costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no violations or claims, full coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Mazda 5 insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The prices are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no set rule of when to stop paying for full coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Mazda 5 replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are currently paying more than $200 annually for physical damage coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some scenarios where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high insurance cost for a Mazda 5 in San Diego, paying for insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Mazda, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Mazda for a lot more money and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in California is overpaying over $820 a year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to save money.
Do you really save 40% when you switch?
Big name companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm regularly use television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to advertise the message that people will save if you change your car insurance coverage to their company. How can each company have lower policy pricing? This is the trick they use.
Companies offer their best rates for the type of customer that will generate a profit. One example of a desirable insured should be over the age of 40, has never had a claim, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get low rates and will also cut their Mazda 5 insurance rates if they switch.
Insureds who may not quite match the ideal profile may receive higher prices with the end result being the customer buying from someone else. Company advertisements say “drivers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” can get the lowest rates when switching. This is how insurance companies can state the savings.
This really illustrates why drivers must get a wide range of price quotes. It’s impossible to know which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest Mazda 5 insurance in San Diego.
Car insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but there’s a good chance there are discounts that you may not know about. Certain reductions will be credited when you complete an application, but occasionally some discounts must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring multiple cars or trucks on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Student Discounts – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- College Student Discount – Older children living away from San Diego attending college and leave their car at home can receive lower rates.
- Club Memberships – Being in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on car insurance.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Drivers without accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accidents.
- Telematics Discount – Insureds who allow their car insurance company to study vehicle usage through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates if they show good driving skills.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Drivers who don’t have accidents have much lower rates in comparison to policyholders that have many claims.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
Discounts save money, but please remember that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm has discounts for good driver, accident-free, driver’s education, good student, and safe vehicle.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Progressive has savings for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and online signing.
- MetLife may include discounts for good driver, claim-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, good student, accident-free
- Farm Bureau discounts include safe driver, multi-policy, renewal discount, good student, and 55 and retired.
- GEICO may offer discounts for seat belt use, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and membership and employees.
- SAFECO includes discounts for multi-car, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, teen safe driver, accident prevention training, and safe driver.
When getting free San Diego auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every prospective company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in San Diego. To find insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in California, click this link.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Some people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision A good thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the lowest rates and also buy local. Buying from and supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in San Diego.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is sent to companies in San Diego who will give you quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a particular provider, just search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
San Diego auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
When searching for a local agent, there are two different types of agencies and how they operate. Insurance agencies in San Diego are either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you need lower rates, we recommend you get insurance quotes from a few independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agents in San Diego that can give you comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Richard Turner Insurance Agency
3443 Camino del Rio S #221 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 296-6222 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. These agents are very knowledgeable on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Diego that are able to give rate quotes.
Rob Robinson – State Farm Insurance Agent
9939 Hibert St #203 – San Diego, CA 92131 – (619) 275-6000 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in San Diego?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Every insured’s situation is different.
These are some specific questions may help you determine if you may require specific advice.
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in San Diego?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Who is covered when they drive my Mazda 5?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Is water damage covered by my policy?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form.
Cheap auto insurance rates are available
As you quote San Diego auto insurance, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
A few companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agencies. The cheapest Mazda 5 insurance in San Diego is available from both online companies and with local San Diego insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection.
We just showed you many tips how you can get a better price on Mazda 5 insurance in San Diego. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.
More information can be read at these links:
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Diego Auto Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Honda CR-V in San Diego? (FAQ)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)