Saving money on Ford Explorer insurance in San Diego might be challenging for drivers not familiar with quoting and comparing rates online. With so many options of companies in the marketplace, it can quickly become a big hassle to find the best prices.
Astonishng but true according to a recent study, almost 70% of insureds have remained with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never quoted car insurance rates at all. Many consumers in California can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they don't believe the large savings they would see if they replace their high priced policy.
Finding and comparing the cheapest car insurance coverage in San Diego is not as hard as you think. Essentially anyone who is shopping for car insurance stands a good chance to find a lower price. But California vehicle owners must comprehend the way insurance companies calculate your policy premium and use this information to your advantage.
Cheap Ford insurance price quotes in San Diego
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in San Diego, CA. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get the most affordable price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$162||$246||$416||$24||$124||$972||$81|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$162||$246||$416||$24||$124||$972||$81|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$332||$464||$450||$26||$134||$1,406||$117|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$182||$292||$500||$30||$150||$1,154||$96|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$332||$564||$500||$30||$150||$1,576||$131|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$244||$394||$424||$26||$126||$1,214||$101|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$300||$490||$424||$26||$126||$1,366||$114|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$238||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,200||$100|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$370||$650||$574||$34||$172||$1,800||$150|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in specific San Diego garaging location which can decrease or increase rates considerably.
The chart below demonstrates how deductible levels and can change Ford Explorer insurance premiums for different insured age categories. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, full coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Auto insurance cost for men versus women
The example below illustrates the difference between Ford Explorer insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Informed Consumers Can Reduce Insurance Rates
Lots of factors are considered when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but others are not as apparent like where you live or your commute time.
Listed below are some of the factors that factor into premiums.
Raise your comp and collision deductibles for better rates - Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles state the amount of money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some coverage claims are a windshield broken by a bird, collision with a deer, and damage from wind. The more of the claim the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
How old are your drivers? - More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.Inexperience drivers are known to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving with friends so they pay higher insurance rates.
Insure car and home with the same company - Many insurers provide lower prices to buyers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it's always a smart idea to comparison shop to ensure the best deal.
Bad drivers pay high premiums - Even one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal forty percent or more. Attentive drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than bad drivers. Drivers who have received multiple tickets like DUI or reckless driving are required to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to prevent a license revocation.
Never let your insurance expire - Not maintaining insurance can get your license suspended and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance lapse. Not only will rates go up, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time. Then you may be required to file a SR-22 with the California DMV.
Insurance loss statistics a Ford Explorer - Auto insurance companies use past insurance losses to help determine the price you pay. Models that tend to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will cost more for specific coverages.
The next table illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Ford Explorer vehicles. For each policy coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, as a total average, is equal to 100. Values that are below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while percentages above 100 point to more frequent losses or tendency to have higher losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Ford Explorer Vehicles
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Explorer 4dr 2WD||80||90||79||75||70||82|
|Ford Explorer 4dr 4WD||94||94||97||75||70||85|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Take advantage of these premium slashing discounts
Car insurance companies don't list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of both the well known as well as some of the hidden insurance savings.
- Professional Organizations - Being in a civic or occupational organization in San Diego can get you a small discount on your policy.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you have no claims for a specific time period.
- Sign Early and Save - Some companies provide a discount for buying a policy early. You may see this discount when you get San Diego auto insurance quotes online.
- Driver Education Discount - Require your teen driver to successfully take a driver's education course if offered at their school.
- San Diego Homeowners Discount - Owning a home in San Diego may earn you a small savings because it requires a higher level of personal finance.
It's important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, you won't be that lucky.
A list of insurance companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- State Farm includes discounts for driver's education, safe vehicle, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, good student, and multiple autos.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, good student, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers offers premium reductions for good student, hybrid/electric vehicle, save driver, payment discounts, multi-policy, and student away at school.
- American Family offers discounts including multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, good driver, mySafetyValet, and early bird.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for multi-car, exclusive group savings, new vehicle discount, good student, and multi-policy.
Before you buy a policy, ask every prospective company how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts may not be available in San Diego. To locate insurance companies who offer insurance discounts in California, follow this link.
When should I talk to a local insurance agent?
A small number of people prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and often times that is recommended One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agents is definitely important in San Diego.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact an agency due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. It's the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
When narrowing the list to find a good insurance agency, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they can write your policy. Agencies in San Diego can either be exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If prices rise, they can switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you contact at least one independent agent to maximize your price options. Most have the option of insuring with small regional insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in San Diego that may be able to give you price quote information.
- Stanley Wong Insurance
4619 Convoy St # C - San Diego, CA 92111 - (858) 569-0383 - View Map
- Leavitt Insurance Agency of San Diego
380 Stevens Ave - Solana Beach, CA 92075 - (858) 259-5800 - View Map
- Oversea Insurance Agency, Inc
1274 Scott St - San Diego, CA 92106 - (800) 266-2662 - View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only write with one company such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company's rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Some people will only buy from exclusive agents partially due to the prominence of the brand rather than low rates.
The following are exclusive agents in San Diego that are able to give price quotes.
- Duane Werner - State Farm Insurance Agent
6663 El Cajon Blvd j - San Diego, CA 92115 - (619) 668-5414 - View Map
- State Farm: Tom Latsko
8680 Navajo Rd #214 - San Diego, CA 92119 - (619) 462-5701 - View Map
- Lisa Keith - State Farm Insurance Agent
1635 Rosecrans St b - San Diego, CA 92106 - (619) 694-4788 - View Map
Selecting an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
Don't give up on affordable coverage
When getting San Diego auto insurance quotes online, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, not the least amount of coverage.
People change insurance companies for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, denial of a claim, questionable increases in premium and an unsatisfactory settlement offer. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is actually quite simple.
We just presented some good ideas how to shop for Ford Explorer insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the best rates are with the least-expected company.
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Diego Auto Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are San Diego Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Honda CR-V in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in San Diego? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)