Want to know how to find more affordable Chevy Equinox insurance in San Diego? Having to pay for overpriced car insurance in San Diego can diminish your funds and put the squeeze on your family's finances. Comparing rates annually can lower your rates and help to ensure you are getting the best deal.
A study showed that most car insurance buyers kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and 38% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. With the average car insurance premium being $1,390, San Diego drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most just don't grasp how much they could save if they switched to a more affordable policy. Vehicle owners have multiple car insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, more choices can make it harder to find the best rates for Chevy Equinox insurance in San Diego.
You should take the time to compare premium rates occasionally since prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest rate on Chevy Equinox insurance in San Diego last year you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're about to learn how to use online quotes to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Buying affordable car insurance in San Diego can be much easier if you know how to start. If you are insured now, you will be able to find better prices using the concepts covered in this article. Smart buyers only need to know the most effective way to buy car insurance from many different companies.
The easiest way to compare car insurance rates for Chevy Equinox insurance in San Diego is to know the fact almost all companies allow for online access to give you rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information such as if the vehicle is leased, whether or not you need a SR-22, how you use your vehicles, and your credit rating estimate. That rating data gets sent immediately to many of the top insurers and you will receive price estimates almost instantly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here then complete the form.
The providers in the list below offer comparison quotes in San Diego, CA. If multiple companies are shown, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Equinox LS 2WD||$296||$584||$424||$26||$126||$1,456||$121|
|Equinox LT 2WD||$252||$426||$456||$26||$136||$1,296||$108|
|Equinox LS AWD||$262||$478||$416||$24||$124||$1,304||$109|
|Equinox LT AWD||$164||$308||$424||$26||$126||$1,048||$87|
|Equinox LTZ 2WD||$332||$664||$500||$30||$150||$1,676||$140|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$244||$464||$424||$26||$126||$1,284||$107|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$264||$524||$596||$36||$178||$1,598||$133|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can change price quotes considerably.
Auto insurance rates by gender and age in San Diego
The example below shows the difference between Chevrolet Equinox insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
How much more does full coverage cost?
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Chevrolet Equinox car insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The rates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no exact rule to delete full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's say your Chevrolet Equinox settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $4,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $400 annually for full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some conditions where only buying liability is not recommended. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not remove full coverage.
Car insurance discounts are available to lower rates
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you can get discounts to help offset the cost. Most are applied when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before they will apply.
- Sign Early and Save - A few companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to your current Equinox insurance policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Bundle and Save - When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Telematics Discount - People who choose to allow their company to track when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may see discounts as long as the data is positive.
- 55 and Retired - Drivers over the age of 55 may receive a slight reduction on a San Diego auto insurance quote.
- Multi-car Discount - Insuring multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Good Students Pay Less - Excelling in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- E-sign Discounts - A few car insurance companies provide a small discount simply for signing on your computer.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car model can get you a discount because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Active Military Service - Being on active deployment in the military could qualify you for better prices.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders these benefits include:
Before buying, ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not apply in every state.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local San Diego insurance agency
A small number of people just want to have an agent's advice and we recommend doing that Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is transmitted to participating agents in San Diego who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. There is no need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. If you need to compare prices from a specific car insurance provider, you just need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on an company should include more criteria than just a low price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions might point out if you may require specific advice.
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It's fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
How to Lower Your Insurance Prices
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that are used to determine your auto insurance rates. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that could result in cheaper rates. Many different elements are used when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but other criteria are not as apparent such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are.
The itemized list below are some of the major factors used by insurance companies to determine premiums.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use - The higher the mileage driven every year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies calculate prices based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage receive better premium rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money. Incorrect rating for your Equinox is just wasting money.
- Prevent your car from being stolen - Choosing to buy a car with advanced anti-theft systems can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft deterrent systems like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar help track and prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
- More performance means higher costs - The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in your rates. Since the Chevrolet Equinox is considered a crossover, insurance will be slightly more as compared to the average rate in San Diego. Low performance passenger vehicles usually have the lowest premiums, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Men tend to take more risk - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. However, this does not mean females are better at driving than males. Women and men tend to get into auto accidents in similar numbers, but the males get into accidents with more damage. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 have the highest risk to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
- Insurance loss data for Chevy Equinox vehicles - Insurers use past insurance losses in order to profitably underwrite each model. Vehicles that are shown to have increased losses will cost more for coverage. The table below outlines the historical insurance loss data for Chevy Equinox vehicles.
For each coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is represented as 100. Numbers under 100 represent a good loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 point to more losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Equinox Vehicles
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Equinox 4dr 2WD 82 86 74 101 104 93 Chevrolet Equinox 4dr 4WD 84 88 85 89 93 81
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Three reasons car insurance is important
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Equinox insurance, maintaining insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Chevy Equinox with a loan, almost every bank will force you to carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy for a lot more money and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying car insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays more than $800 each year so it's recommended you shop around at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
You can lower your car insurance rates
In this article, we covered many ideas to find cheaper Chevy Equinox insurance in San Diego. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Lower-priced Chevy Equinox insurance in San Diego is possible from both online companies and with local San Diego insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. A few companies may not have the ability to get a quote online and these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
Additional learning opportunities
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How Much are San Diego Auto Insurance Rates for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)