Do you need a better way to compare more competitive GMC Sierra insurance in San Diego? Have you had enough of being strong-armed to keep your car insured? You’re in the same situation as many other consumers in California.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that almost 70% of insureds in California have bought auto insurance from the same company for well over three years, and just under half have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. American insurance shoppers could save nearly 46.5% a year just by comparing rates, but they just don’t want to shop around.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance promote their brand names with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to separate fact from fiction and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more quotes will improve the odds of getting the best price.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in California. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$202||$408||$574||$34||$172||$1,390||$116|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$346||$632||$456||$26||$136||$1,596||$133|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$292||$570||$416||$24||$124||$1,426||$119|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$420||$930||$534||$32||$160||$2,076||$173|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$204||$418||$500||$30||$150||$1,302||$109|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$300||$576||$424||$26||$126||$1,452||$121|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,840||$153|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$370||$834||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$332||$664||$500||$30||$150||$1,676||$140|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$286||$502||$456||$26||$136||$1,406||$117|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$270||$564||$500||$30||$150||$1,514||$126|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$300||$576||$424||$26||$126||$1,452||$121|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$242||$452||$456||$26||$136||$1,312||$109|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$420||$898||$534||$32||$160||$2,044||$170|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$228||$482||$464||$28||$138||$1,340||$112|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Price estimates do not factor in your specific San Diego location which can raise or lower coverage rates considerably.
Rate comparison of male drivers versus female drivers
The information below shows the difference between GMC Sierra car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The data is based on a clean driving record, no claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Insuring your Sierra just makes sense
Despite the high cost, paying for car insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Sierra has a lien holder, almost all lenders will require you to have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your GMC at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so you should quote rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Buy Cheap Car Insurance with These Tips
Many different elements are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable like a motor vehicle report, but some are less obvious such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
The list below includes a few of the things used by insurance companies to determine premiums.
- Annual mileage and car insurance costs – The more miles you rack up on your GMC in a year’s time the more it will cost to insure it. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos that are left in the garage qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet states how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money. An incorrectly rated Sierra may be costing you.
- Youthful drivers pay higher rates – Young drivers in California have been known to be more careless with other occupants in the car so they pay higher car insurance rates. Having to add a first-time driver onto your car insurance can be very expensive. Older, more experienced drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – The majority of insurers provide better rates to insureds that have more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Premiums and employer – Do you have a high-stress occupation? Jobs such as judges, airline pilots, and accountants tend to pay higher average rates due to intense work requirements and lengthy work days. On the other hand, careers like farmers, athletes and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
- Your address can affect premiums – Residing in less populated areas of the country has it’s advantages when buying car insurance. Lower population corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to fewer liability claims. Drivers in populated California areas regularly have more auto accidents and a longer drive to work. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
- Getting married is a bonus – Being married may cut your premiums compared to being single. Having a spouse may mean you are more responsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- No coverage gaps is important – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a guaranteed way to increase your rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.
- GMC Sierra insurance loss data – Insurers use past loss statistics for each vehicle to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that have higher claim amounts or frequency will have a higher cost to insure.
The table below outlines the insurance loss data used by companies for GMC Sierra vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, equals 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentages above 100 indicate more frequent claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Car Insurance Loss Data for GMC Sierra Models
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Sierra 1500 2WD 89 122 106 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD 97 86 79 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 87 99 132 69 69 89 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 89 102 114 52 51 73 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 98 109 96 70 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 78 85 89 65 56 94 GMC Sierra 2500 4WD 70 56 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 63 101 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 91 118 105 43 50 90 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 67 108 85 40 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 85 128 121 35
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance rates and discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t list every policy discount very clearly, so the list below details both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage can earn discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Early Switch Discount – Some larger companies give discounts for switching policies before your current coverage expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Distant Student Discount – Children who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college could qualify for this discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple vehicles on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some auto insurance companies give lower premium rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your San Diego car insurance quote.
- Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but certain companies permit an accident without the usual rate increase so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Larger auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are shown below.
- Farm Bureau discounts include 55 and retired, multi-policy, safe driver, multi-vehicle, and driver training.
- MetLife has discounts for multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, good driver, defensive driver, good student
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, good student, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- AAA offers premium reductions for AAA membership discount, anti-theft, pay-in-full, good student, multi-policy, and good driver.
- American Family has savings for good driver, mySafetyValet, good student, defensive driver, and Steer into Savings.
- GEICO may have discounts that include anti-theft, good student, driver training, daytime running lights, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, and defensive driver.
- State Farm may include discounts for multiple policy, anti-theft, passive restraint, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, good student, and good driver.
If you need inexpensive San Diego car insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering the best way to save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply in your area.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When quoting and comparing coverage online or from an agent, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totalled car?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Is my GMC Sierra covered for smoke damage?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Insurance agent or online?
Many people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying insurance from local agents is especially important in San Diego.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in San Diego that provide free San Diego car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies because prices are sent to you directly. Get lower rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you wish to quote rates from one company in particular, you can always search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
When looking for a good San Diego insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agents in San Diego are classified as either exclusive or independent.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations so as a result can place your coverage amongst many companies and get the cheapest rates. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency.
If you are comparing insurance prices, we recommend you get quotes from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in San Diego that can possibly get you free price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents write business for a single company like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They are very knowledgeable on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following is a list of exclusive agencies in San Diego who can help you get rate quotes.
Selecting an car insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. These are valid questions to ask:
- Does the company have a local claim office in San Diego?
- How long has their agency been open in San Diego?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Will one accident increase rates?
Cover all your bases
Cheaper GMC Sierra insurance in San Diego can be sourced on the web in addition to many San Diego insurance agents, so get free San Diego car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer rates over the internet and many times these regional insurance providers work with independent insurance agencies.
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can get a better price on GMC Sierra insurance in San Diego. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote San Diego car insurance, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Drivers with Accidents in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)