Feeling guilty for buying an overpriced auto insurance policy? Don’t feel bad because many San Diego drivers feel the same as you.
Sadly, nearly 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Most drivers in the United States could save about $859 a year by just shopping around, but they don’t know the actual amount they would save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one. People have so many auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and even though it’s nice to have a choice, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare rates and find the lowest cost auto insurance.
Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in San Diego can initially seem challenging. If you are insured now or just want to reduce your rates, use these tips to reduce premiums while maintaining coverages. Drivers just need to know the best way to shop on the web.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the most competitive price.
Cheaper San Diego auto insurance rates with discounts
Some companies do not advertise every discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains both well-publicized and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Claim-Free Discount – Claim-free drivers pay much less as opposed to policyholders that have many claims.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote San Diego car insurance but check with your company.
- Defensive Driver – Successfully completing a safe driver course is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Teen drivers should successfully take a driver’s education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Seat Belts Save – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – When you have multiple policies with one company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars with ABS and/or traction control are much safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Multi-line Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Paperwork-free – Some of the larger companies provide a small discount for buying your policy on your computer.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Larger auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are:
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for mature driver, electronic funds transfer, early shopping, pay in full, and homeowner.
- State Farm offers discounts including passive restraint, accident-free, good driver, anti-theft, good student, Drive Safe & Save, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including new vehicle discount, newly married, multi-policy, multi-car, and good student.
- MetLife has discounts for multi-policy, accident-free, defensive driver, good driver, good student, claim-free
- Progressive has savings for good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, online signing, and continuous coverage.
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered on policies in your state.
When should I contact a local insurance agent?
Many people just want to have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! Good agents can answer important questions and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and also buy local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to companies in San Diego who will give you bids for your coverage. You won’t need to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Will they give you a referral list?
What type of San Diego auto insurance agent is right for you?
If you would like to find local San Diego agents, you should know the different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agencies are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s a good idea to understand how they differ because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents generally can only insure with one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following are San Diego exclusive insurance agencies that can give you price quotes.
Steve Elder – State Farm Insurance Agent
9225 Mira Mesa Blvd #208d – San Diego, CA 92126 – (858) 271-8928 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
These agents are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When searching for an agent, you will want to compare quotes from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agencies in San Diego willing to provide comparison quotes.
If you receive good responses to your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles. Just understand that you are entitled to cancel your policy for any reason so don’t assume that you are permanently stuck with any particular company for the entire policy term.
When it comes to the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so this has to be addressed.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether you could use an agent’s help.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Hyundai Veloster?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Is my Hyundai Veloster covered for flood damage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Insurance coverage options for a Hyundai Veloster
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine the best coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. These are the usual coverages offered by insurance companies.
Medical expense insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills for chiropractic care, EMT expenses, prosthetic devices and surgery. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability car insurance
Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers things like repair costs for stationary objects, attorney fees, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, loss of income and legal defense fees. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Hyundai Veloster.
Due to the fact that many California drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5 in California), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Veloster resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for claims such as scraping a guard rail, backing into a parked car and rolling your car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Veloster to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a deer, vandalism and theft. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Find affordable rates by being thorough
We’ve covered a lot of tips how to get a better price on Hyundai Veloster insurance in San Diego. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices come from some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
More affordable insurance in San Diego is attainable from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies may not offer price quotes online and these small, regional companies only sell coverage through local independent agents.
More detailed insurance information can be read at these sites:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Equinox in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)