Being forced to pay for expensive car insurance premiums can eat up your family’s budget and possibly require postponing other expenditures. Performing a price comparison is a fast and free way to lower your monthly bill.
Regrettably, the majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for at least four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared car insurance rates at all. San Diego consumers can cut their rates by as much as 35% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Consumers have so many insurers to buy insurance from, and even though it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more challenging to compare company pricing for Honda HR-V insurance in San Diego.
Smart consumers take time to get comparison quotes every six months because car insurance rates change quite often. Even if you think you had the lowest rate on Honda HR-V insurance in San Diego six months ago you can probably find a lower rate today. There are a lot of ways to save on HR-V insurance out there, but I’m going to show you some great ideas on how to find cheap car insurance in San Diego.
To find more affordable prices, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from different companies. The best method to do a complete rate comparison is to jump online and get quotes.
It’s so easy to compare price quotes online that it makes it a waste of time to physically go to different San Diego agent offices. The fact that you can get quotes online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the trained guidance of a local San Diego agent. Although, it is possible get the lowest quotes online but purchase the actual policy in an agency. When price shopping your coverage, comparing more prices will enable you to find more affordable insurance.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in San Diego, CA. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Check for these discounts
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every discount they offer in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to you.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a new HR-V can get you a discount since newer models are generally safer.
- Early Signing – Some car insurance companies give discounts for renewing your policy early. You may see this discount when you get San Diego auto insurance quotes online.
- Employee of Federal Government – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes have fewer accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Successfully completing a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount depending on where you live.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include pay in full, distant student, good student, early shopping, business and professional, and homeowner.
- Esurance discounts include anti-lock brakes, claim free, safety device, good driver, defensive driver, and homeowner.
- State Farm offers discounts including multiple autos, driver’s education, student away at school, good student, Drive Safe & Save, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO has savings for five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, good student, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, and emergency military deployment.
- Allstate has discounts for passive restraint, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, teenSMART discount, and FullPay discount.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company how you can save money. All car insurance discounts might not be offered on policies in San Diego. To see a list of insurers who offer car insurance discounts in San Diego, click this link.
Why auto insurance is not optional
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Honda in San Diego, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your HR-V has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Honda for a much higher rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having auto insurance outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in California is overpaying more than $825 a year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to save money.
Everyone needs different auto insurance coverages
When selecting your policy for your vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- What is medical payments coverage?
- What happens if I owe more than my Honda HR-V is worth?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Independent or exclusive car insurance agents
Many people just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and also buy local. Supporting small agencies is especially important in San Diego.
After completing this short form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents that can give you free San Diego auto insurance quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to find an agent because prices are sent immediately to your email address. You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent. If you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, feel free to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Choosing a insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in California?