How many times have you told yourself to find lower-priced auto insurance rates in San Diego, CA? San Diego shoppers have a choice when shopping for low-cost Honda CR-V insurance. You can either spend your time calling around getting price quotes or use the internet to get rate quotes. There are both good and bad ways to shop for auto insurance and we’ll show you the proper way to price shop coverage for a Honda and find the lowest possible price either online or from San Diego insurance agents.
Affordable Honda insurance price quotes in San Diego
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in California. If multiple providers are shown, it’s a good idea that you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|CR-V LX 2WD||$256||$464||$424||$26||$128||$1,298||$108|
|CR-V EX 2WD||$256||$468||$354||$20||$106||$1,204||$100|
|CR-V LX 4WD||$168||$274||$386||$22||$116||$966||$81|
|CR-V EX 4WD||$238||$392||$424||$26||$128||$1,208||$101|
|CR-V EX-L 2WD||$326||$582||$424||$26||$128||$1,486||$124|
|CR-V EX-L 4WD||$164||$252||$360||$22||$108||$906||$76|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase price quotes considerably.
Does full coverage make sense?
The example below illustrates the difference between Honda CR-V annual premium costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The information is based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no definitive formula to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Honda CR-V settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $300 annually to have full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not in your best interest. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
An analysis of deductible level
The diagram below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Honda CR-V insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. The data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Cheaper rates on Honda CR-V insurance in San Diego with these discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that may help make it more affordable. Most are applied at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Insuring a vehicle that is new may earn a small discount because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote San Diego auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your entire bill at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like Allstate and State Farm may permit one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you haven’t had any claims before the accident.
- E-sign – A few larger online companies will give you a small discount simply for signing on their website.
- Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discounted price on car insurance if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, that’s just not realistic. But any discount will help lower your policy cost.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are outlined below.
- Progressive may have discounts that include good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and homeowner.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for multi-car, pay in full, switch companies, youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, and mature driver.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including multi-policy, multi-vehicle, 55 and retired, good student, youthful driver, and renewal discount.
- State Farm discounts include defensive driving training, multiple policy, good student, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, and multiple autos.
- GEICO has discounts for defensive driver, multi-policy, anti-theft, membership and employees, multi-vehicle, driver training, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for homeowner, bundle discounts, multi-car, accident prevention training, and drive less.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for new move discount, newly married, good student, multi-policy, exclusive group savings, preferred payment discount, and new vehicle discount.
If you want affordable San Diego auto insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits may not apply to policies in your state. To see providers with significant discounts in California, click here.
Lower Your San Diego Insurance Prices
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at the rating factors that help calculate your insurance rates. When you understand what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you lower premium levels.
- Employer reflects on prices – Jobs such as fire fighters, executives and financial analysts tend to pay higher premiums than the average policyholder because of high stress and lots of time spent at work. Other occupations like farmers, athletes and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Prevent theft and save – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can save you some money. Theft prevention devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent auto theft.
- Your age impacts your costs – Older insureds are more cautious drivers, are lower risk to insure, and are safer drivers.Teen drivers are known to be careless and easily distracted behind the wheel so they pay higher insurance rates.
- Never allow your insurance policy to lapse – Driving any period of time without insurance can get you a ticket and companies may charge more for letting your coverage lapse. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance could result in fines and jail time.
- Honda CR-V claim statistics – Car insurance companies analyze historical claim data when setting rates for each model. Models that statistically have higher frequency or amount of claims will have higher premium rates. The data below shows the insurance loss data for Honda CR-V vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is considered to be 100. Values under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Honda CR-V Models
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda CR-V 4dr 2WD 68 81 58 93 86 77 Honda CR-V 4dr 4WD 69 82 69 90 87 78
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent. Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and also buy local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents in San Diego who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- How long have they been in business?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
Best car insurance agent in San Diego
When narrowing the list to find a local San Diego insurance agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. San Diego agents can be categorized as either independent or exclusive. Either type can provide auto insurance policies, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact which type of agent you select.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand name instead of buying on price only.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in San Diego who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Mike Moore – State Farm Insurance Agent
12880 Rancho Penasquitos Blvd d – San Diego, CA 92129 – (858) 484-1297 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Aaron Farmer
7960 Silverton Ave #202 – San Diego, CA 92126 – (858) 689-0466 – View Map
- State Farm: Tom Latsko
8680 Navajo Rd #214 – San Diego, CA 92119 – (619) 462-5701 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company so they can write business with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part.
When comparing rate quotes, you will want to get quotes from independent agents to maximize your price options. Most have the option of insuring with lesser-known insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below are independent agents in San Diego who can help you get price quotes.
- Oversea Insurance Agency, Inc
1274 Scott St – San Diego, CA 92106 – (800) 266-2662 – View Map
- Alcott Insurance
3945 Idaho St – San Diego, CA 92104 – (619) 293-3800 – View Map
- Einhorn Insurance
3940 Hancock St – San Diego, CA 92110 – (858) 336-4644 – View Map
Do drivers who switch really save?
California consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price auto insurance by State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. They all tend to make the same promise about savings if you just switch to them.
That’s great but how can every company have lower policy pricing? It’s all in the wording.
Companies give the best rates for the type of customer that earns them a profit. An example of this type of insured should be between the ages of 30 and 50, has a clear driving record, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. Someone who matches that profile will probably get cheap premium rates and have a good chance to cut their Honda CR-V insurance rates if they switch.
People who may not quite match this stringent profile will be quoted higher rates which results in business not being written. The trick companies use is to say “people who switch” not “everyone who quotes” can get the lowest rates when switching. That’s the way companies can make claims like that. Different companies use different criteria so you need to compare many company’s prices. It’s just too difficult to predict which auto insurance company will have the lowest premium rates for your situation.
Lower rates by being persistent
Cheaper auto insurance in San Diego is available from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
Consumers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions and even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason, switching auto insurance companies can be easier than you think.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Camry in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for State Employees in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for 19 Year Olds in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Diego Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)