Do you get exhausted from scraping the payment together to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than millions of other vehicle owners.
Sadly, 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted car insurance rates at all. Most drivers in the U.S. could save up to $860 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they think it’s difficult to compare rates.
Multiple car insurance companies compete for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every company to find the best rates possible on Honda Clarity insurance in San Diego.
Compare free San Diego Honda Clarity insurance quotes
When comparison shopping, having more price comparisons will increase your chances of finding more affordable rates.
The companies in the list below offer price comparisons in California. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Why auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high insurance cost for a Honda Clarity in San Diego, auto insurance serves several important purposes.
First, almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Honda for a much higher rate and make you pay the higher price.
Third, auto insurance protects both your assets and your Honda Clarity. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $750 every year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Get Cheaper Insurance Rates by Understanding These Factors
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, although some other factors are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find lower car insurance prices.
- Rates go up with performance – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a huge difference in your auto insurance rates. Since the Honda Clarity is considered a compact car, insuring your vehicle will cost the same to a little lower than the average rate where you live in San Diego. Low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest premiums, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Is insurance coverage cheaper for females or males? – Statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Both genders cause accidents at about the same rate, but men have costlier accidents. Not only that, but men also get ticketed for serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 cause the most accidents and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Liability coverage claims can be big – Liability coverage will provide protection if ever a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. It provides for a legal defense to defend your case. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Youthful drivers pay higher premiums – Inexperience drivers have a tendency to be more careless when driving with friends so car insurance rates are higher. Older, more experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets.
Affordable Honda Clarity insurance quotes in San Diego
Some insurance providers don’t list every discount very well, so we took the time to find both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Paperwork-free – Many companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application on the internet.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to track their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Distant Student Discount – Older children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from San Diego and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on a single policy qualifies for this discount.
- San Diego Homeowners Discount – Just owning your own home can save you money because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Good Grades Discount – Excelling in school may save as much as 25% on a San Diego car insurance quote. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up to age 25.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Completing a safe driver class could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you quote San Diego car insurance with select insurance companies.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
Companies who may offer some of the above discounts include:
Before you buy a policy, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Savings might not be offered in San Diego.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When quoting and choosing proper insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Your situation is unique and your auto insurance should be unique as well.
For example, these questions might help in determining if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Should I rate my vehicle as business use?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Can’t I compare rates from local San Diego insurance agents?
Some consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can find lower rates and also buy local. And buying from local insurance agents is important particularly in San Diego.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your business. You don’t have to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a reliable insurance agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies to choose from. Car insurance agents in San Diego can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not restricted to one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to check rates from independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below are San Diego independent agencies that may be able to give you free car insurance quotes.
Leavitt Group – Leavitt Insurance Agency of San Diego
3636 Nobel Dr #100 – San Diego, CA 92122 – (858) 436-2441 – View Map
Nationwide Insurance: Richard Turner Insurance Agency
3443 Camino del Rio S #221 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 296-6222 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Diego willing to provide comparison quotes.
Choosing an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Does the company have a local claim office in San Diego?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
When getting San Diego car insurance quotes online, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
More affordable car insurance in San Diego can be bought both online as well as from independent agents in San Diego, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not provide the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agencies.
Even more information is available at these sites:
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)