Want to learn the secrets to finding cheaper auto insurance rates in San Diego, CA? San Diego drivers have options when trying to find the lowest priced GMC Yukon insurance. You can either waste hours struggling with agents to compare prices or leverage the internet to compare rates. There are both good and bad ways to buy auto insurance and you need to know the best way to price shop coverage on a GMC and get the cheapest rates either online or from San Diego insurance agents.
Five Things That Determine Your Insurance Prices
It’s important that you understand the factors that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that may result in lower insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the major factors insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Where you call home plays a part – Having an address in small towns and rural areas can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Less people means less chance of accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Drivers in populated California areas have traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
- Affects performance affects auto insurance rates – The performance level of the car or truck you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The cheapest rates will normally be found when insuring small economy passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors. Due to the fact that the GMC Yukon is classified as a standard SUV, rates will be slightly more compared to average rates in San Diego.
- Your occupation may affect rates – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Careers such as military personnel, air traffic controllers, and emergency personnel generally have higher rates than the rest of us due to high stress and incredibly demanding work hours. Conversely, jobs such as actors, students and performers have the lowest average rates.
- How much liability insurance – Liability coverage will provide protection if ever you are found to be at fault for an accident. It provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Rental and towing coverage may not be needed – Policies have optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren’t diligent. Coverage for things like roadside assistance, better glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when deciding what coverages you need, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- GMC Yukon insurance claim data – Insurance companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle in order to profitably underwrite each model. Models that statistically have high amounts or severity of claims will have higher rates. The data below shows the loss history for GMC Yukon vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is represented as 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest a better than average loss history, while percentages above 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
GMC Yukon Insurance Claim Statistics
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Yukon 4dr 2WD 86 96 112 66 GMC Yukon 4dr 4WD 86 89 117 63 61 69 GMC Yukon XL 1500 4dr 2WD 111 99 137 GMC Yukon XL 1500 4dr 4WD 104 126 128 59
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The fastest way that we advise to compare car insurance rates for GMC Yukon insurance in San Diego is to realize most larger insurance companies participate in a system to quote your coverage. The one thing you need to do is take a few minutes to give details like how you use your vehicles, if you require a SR-22, whether you are single or married, and if your license is active. That information is submitted instantly to insurance companies and they respond with quotes instantly.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and complete the form.
The following companies provide quotes in California. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Yukon SLE 2WD||$332||$592||$500||$30||$150||$1,604||$134|
|Yukon SLE 4WD||$186||$308||$424||$26||$126||$1,070||$89|
|Yukon SLT 2WD||$334||$584||$424||$26||$126||$1,494||$125|
|Yukon SLT 4WD||$342||$534||$534||$32||$160||$1,602||$134|
|Yukon Denali 2WD||$300||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,466||$122|
|Yukon Denali 4WD||$490||$678||$578||$34||$174||$1,954||$163|
|Yukon Hybrid 2WD||$370||$804||$564||$34||$168||$1,940||$162|
|Yukon Hybrid 4WD||$334||$664||$480||$28||$144||$1,650||$138|
|Yukon Hybrid Denali 2WD||$506||$1190||$650||$38||$194||$2,578||$215|
|Yukon Hybrid Denali 4WD||$430||$812||$514||$30||$154||$1,940||$162|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can alter premiums significantly.
Safe drivers pay less for auto insurance
The illustration below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims drive up GMC Yukon auto insurance rates for each different age group. The data assumes a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage?
The illustration below shows the comparison of GMC Yukon auto insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, $100 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There is no set rule for excluding physical damage coverage, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s say your GMC Yukon replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $6,000 after paying your deductible. If it’s costing you more than $600 annually for full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where removing full coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Rate comparison of males versus females
The example below compares GMC Yukon annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no violations or claims, full coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied.
Don’t be fooled by advertising claims
California drivers can’t get away from ads that promise big savings by GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all advertise the message that you can save just by switching your coverage.
Is it even possible that every company can give you a better price on GMC Yukon insurance in San Diego? This is the trick they use.
Insurance companies give the cheapest rates for the right customer that will be a good risk. For instance, a desirable risk might have to be over the age of 45, owns a home, and chooses high deductibles. Any driver that meets those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes in San Diego and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Insureds who are not a match for this ideal profile may receive higher premium rates and this can result in the customer buying from a different company. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much. That’s the way companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings. That is why you should get price quotes at each policy renewal. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will provide the lowest GMC Yukon insurance in San Diego.
Three good reasons to insure your GMC Yukon
Despite the potentially high cost of GMC Yukon insurance, car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will force you to have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your GMC at a much higher rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your GMC as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays as much as $810 a year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Score discounts to get cheaper San Diego insurance quotes
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but there may be some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Paper-free Discount – A few insurance companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up on the web.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Bundle and Save – If you have multiple policies with one company you may save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Claim-Free Discount – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially as opposed to drivers who are more careless.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down on your GMC may allow you to get slightly better insurance rates than normal.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don’t profit that way.
The best insurance companies and their possible discounts can be read below.
- American Family offers premium reductions for Steer into Savings, early bird, air bags, TimeAway discount, good driver, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for youthful driver, driver training, good student, safe driver, and renewal discount.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, accident-free, multiple autos, anti-theft, good student, passive restraint, and safe vehicle.
- Travelers includes discounts for IntelliDrive, continuous insurance, save driver, new car, hybrid/electric vehicle, and student away at school.
- The Hartford offers discounts for bundle, vehicle fuel type, air bag, defensive driver, driver training, and anti-theft.
- GEICO discounts include emergency military deployment, good student, five-year accident-free, membership and employees, and anti-theft.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-policy, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and online quote discount.
When quoting, ask every company what discounts are available to you. Savings might not be offered in San Diego. To find companies who offer free GMC Yukon insurance quotes in California, click this link.
Car insurance agents can help
Some consumers just want to sit down with an agent and that is a personal choice. Experienced insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents in San Diego who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing the best company is decision based upon more than just the price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- How long have they been in business?
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a good San Diego insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Agencies in San Diego are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either type can provide auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the difference between them because it can impact buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel are contracted to one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so you might not find the best rates. They are highly trained on their products and sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years mainly due to loyalty to the company rather than low rates.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Diego that are able to give price quotes.
- Deryk Inn – State Farm Insurance Agent
3633 Camino del Rio S #100 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 362-4820 – View Map
- John Tran – State Farm Insurance Agent
2820 Camino del Rio S Ste 310 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 291-1787 – View Map
- Rob Robinson – State Farm Insurance Agent
9939 Hibert St #203 – San Diego, CA 92131 – (619) 275-6000 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are not employed by any specific company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we recommend you include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison. Many write coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which can save you money.
Listed below are independent agencies in San Diego willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Alcott Insurance
3945 Idaho St – San Diego, CA 92104 – (619) 293-3800 – View Map
- Stanley Wong Insurance
4619 Convoy St # C – San Diego, CA 92111 – (858) 569-0383 – View Map
- Leavitt Group – Leavitt Insurance Agency of San Diego
3636 Nobel Dr #100 – San Diego, CA 92122 – (858) 436-2441 – View Map
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When selecting the right insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your situation is unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required California minimum liability coverage?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
A conclusion for your auto insurance search
Drivers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including policy non-renewal, high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation and lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason, finding a new company is easier than you think.
Affordable GMC Yukon insurance in San Diego can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood San Diego agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers may not provide internet price quotes and many times these smaller providers sell through independent agents.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of ways to lower your GMC Yukon insurance rates in San Diego. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest GMC Yukon rate quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found in the articles below:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable San Diego Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 21? (FAQ)
- How Much is San Diego Car Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)