Do you want to save money by buying the cheapest Volvo S40 insurance in San Diego? Are you sick and tired of scraping nickels together to pay your auto insurance bill each month? You are in the same boat as the majority of other people in California.
It’s shocking but a large majority of drivers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and almost half have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. California consumers could save themselves up to 35% a year by just shopping around, but they don’t know the actual amount they would save if they changed companies. People have so many insurance companies to choose from, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, more options can take longer to find a good deal for Volvo S40 insurance in San Diego.
Locating the best insurance company for you in San Diego can initially seem challenging. If you already have coverage, you stand a good chance to be able to find the best rates using the tips covered below. Consumers just need to use the most time-saving way to compare different rates from many different companies online.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Volvo S40 insurance in San Diego
Car insurance is expensive, but there may be some discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain credits will be shown when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be asked for before you get the savings.
- Paper-free Discount – A few car insurance companies provide a small discount shop San Diego car insurance on the internet.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote San Diego car insurance depending on your company.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you combine your auto and home policies and insure them with the same company they may give you a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for lower premium rates.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear prior to being involved in the accident.
- Distant Student – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and don’t have a car can receive lower rates.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Completing a class that teaches safe driver techniques could cut 5% off your bill and make you a better driver.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Multi-line Discount – Some companies give a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
As a footnote on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren’t that lucky.
If you would like to view companies who offer car insurance discounts in California, follow this link.
Free San Diego Volvo S40 insurance price quotes
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price comparisons in California. If multiple providers are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|S40 T5 AWD R-Design||$204||$418||$464||$28||$138||$1,252||$104|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and multi-policy. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can modify coverage rates greatly.
Full coverage versus liability-only
The example below illustrates the difference between Volvo S40 yearly insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The rate quotes are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no specific rule of when to exclude comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Volvo S40 settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $3,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $300 a year for physical damage coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are a few situations where dropping physical damage coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
The information below shows how different deductible levels and can raise or lower Volvo S40 annual premium costs for each age group. The data assumes a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
How do Car Insurance Companies Determine Volvo S40 Insurance Rates?
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that may result in lower premium levels.
- Add-on coverages that may not be needed – Policies have extra add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time on your S40 policy. Coverage for things like personal injury protection, towing, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. You may think they are a good idea initially, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- Qualify for multi-policy discounts – Many companies allow lower prices to policyholders that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount applied, consumers should still compare Volvo S40 rates in San Diego to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Liability protection limits should be high – Liability coverage kicks in if ever you are responsible for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your policy’s liability insurance provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Pay less with a high IIHS safety rating – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles built for safety result in less severe injuries and fewer serious injuries means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates. If your Volvo S40 is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov you are probably receiving a discount.
- Youthful drivers pay more – Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are safer drivers.Drivers with little experience are proven to be easily distracted with other occupants in the car therefore insurance rates are much higher.
- A good credit rating can save money – Your credit score is likely to be a major factor in calculating your insurance rates. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with worse credit. If your credit is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your Volvo S40 by repairing your credit.
Shop online but buy locally
Some people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Licensed agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. The best thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the quote information is immediately sent to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent on your own because prices are sent immediately to you. If you wish to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an provider requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. Any agent in San Diego should have no problem answering these questions:
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Which family members are covered?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
If you want to use a good San Diego insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agencies in San Diego may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either type can sell affordable insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the differences since it may influence the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents have only one company to place business with and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are well schooled on what they offer which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Shown below are exclusive agencies in San Diego willing to provide price quotes.
Independent insurance agents are not limited to a single company so they can quote policies through lots of different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier which is easy for the insured.
When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to get some free quotes from several independent insurance agents to maximize your price options.
Below are independent agents in San Diego who can help you get comparison quotes.
Here’s why insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
First, the majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Volvo S40 with a loan, most lenders will require that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Volvo at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance preserves not only your Volvo but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially if you ever need it. But the average driver in California overpays as much as $750 every year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Smart consumers save more
We just covered a lot of tips how to save on Volvo S40 insurance in San Diego. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest car insurance rates come from the least-expected company. Some small companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents. Cost effective Volvo S40 insurance can be bought from both online companies and with local San Diego insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis.
Much more information about insurance in California is located at these links:
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a DUI in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are San Diego Car Insurance Quotes for Low Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenage Males in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)