Dodge Durango insurance cost image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
Think you have high-priced Dodge Durango insurance in San Diego? Trust us when we tell you many San Diego consumers are in the same pinch.
Shockingly, most car insurance buyers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Consumers in California could save themselves $470 a year, but they won't spend time to shop around.
Many insurance companies vie for your hard-earned dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance companies to discover the definitive lowest cost out there.
If you have a current insurance policy, you will definitely be able to buy cheaper insurance using the ideas covered in this article. Buying the cheapest insurance in San Diego is easy if you know what you're doing. But California consumers need to learn how insurance companies determine prices because rates fluctuate considerably.
How to buy San Diego Dodge Durango insurance online
Most companies allow consumers to get insurance quotes from their websites. The process is fairly simple as you just enter the amount of coverage you want into a form. After the form is submitted, their rating system will order reports for credit and driving violations and quotes a price based on the information you submitted. Using the web to get quotes for Dodge Durango insurance in San Diego makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it is important to compare as many rates as possible if you want to get lower-cost car insurance pricing.
To save time and find out how much you're overpaying now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you duplicate coverages and limits exactly as they are listed on your policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have comparison quotes for exact coverage.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in California. If multiple companies are shown, it's highly recommended you compare several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Car insurance buyers beware
Well-known car insurance companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm continually stream ads on television and other media. All the ads make the same claim that drivers can save some big amount just by switching your car insurance coverage to their company. But how can every company claim to save you money? This is the trick they use.
Most companies are able to cherry pick for a prospective insured that will be a good risk. A good example of a profitable insured might be a female over age 40, has had continuous coverage, and has a short commute. A customer that matches those criteria will get very good San Diego rates and will also save a lot of money.
Consumers who do not fit the ideal profile will probably be forced to pay higher premiums and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state "customers who switch" not "everybody who quotes" can get the lowest rates when switching. That's the way companies can truthfully make those statements.
This really emphasizes why it's extremely important to compare price quotes frequently. It's not possible to predict the company that will have the best prices at this point in time.
Why you need Durango insurance in California
Despite the high cost, paying for auto insurance is mandatory in California but it also protects more than you think.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Durango, almost every bank will require you to buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. It also can pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Dodge gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in San Diego is overpaying more than $820 a year so smart consumers compare quotes every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Insurance is expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you complete an application, but some must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Student Driver Training - Teen drivers should successfully complete driver's ed class in school.
- ABS Braking Discount - Vehicles with ABS braking systems or traction control are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Accident Free - Insureds with no claims or accidents pay much less as opposed to drivers with a long claim history.
- Organization Discounts - Joining qualifying clubs or civic groups could trigger savings when getting a San Diego auto insurance quote.
- Home Ownership Discount - Owning a home in San Diego may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house is proof of financial responsibility.
Don't be shocked that some credits don't apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that you could get a free insurance policy, it just doesn't work that way. But all discounts will definitely reduce your overall bill.
Larger insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- GEICO offers discounts including emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, air bags, military active duty, and good student.
- Travelers has savings for driver training, new car, save driver, hybrid/electric vehicle, good student, and payment discounts.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for multi-vehicle, safe driver, good student, renewal discount, and 55 and retired.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include newly retired, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, new vehicle discount, and safety features.
- American Family may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, early bird, good student, defensive driver, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, and TimeAway discount.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, and continuous coverage.
Before you buy a policy, ask every insurance company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in your state. If you would like to view providers who offer cheap Dodge Durango insurance quotes in San Diego, follow this link.
Auto insurance quotes from local neighborhood San Diego car insurance agents
Many people just prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is a personal choice. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and also buy local. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in San Diego.
Upon completion of this quick form, your insurance data is immediately sent to local insurance agents that give free quotes to get your business. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to you directly. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good company requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. A good agent in San Diego will have answers to these questions.
- How long has their agency been open in San Diego?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
Auto insurance coverage information
Understanding the coverages of a car insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types offered by car insurance companies.
Medical expense insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for expenses such as chiropractic care, dental work, nursing services, prosthetic devices and funeral costs. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers you and your occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Dodge Durango.
Since many California drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (California limits are 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Usually these limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Liability coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property in an accident. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see liability limits of 15/30/5 that means you have a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things such as emergency aid, medical expenses, repair bills for other people's vehicles, attorney fees and pain and suffering. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. California requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This coverage covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a deer, hail damage, fire damage and falling objects. The most you'll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Collision coverage covers damage to your Durango resulting from a collision with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, backing into a parked car, rolling your car, hitting a parking meter and scraping a guard rail. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. It's also possible to increase the deductible on your Durango to bring the cost down.
Compare. Compare. Compare.
Affordable Dodge Durango insurance in San Diego can be found both online and from local agencies, so you need to quote San Diego auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers do not provide rate quotes online and usually these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
When shopping online for insurance, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, an insured dropped full coverage and discovered at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to buy enough coverage at the best possible price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Company Car in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Camry in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Malibu in San Diego? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Safe Drivers in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Diego Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)