Want to learn the secrets to finding low-cost Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in San Diego? I can’t think of a single person who looks forward to buying insurance, especially when they could find lower prices if they just compared rates.
Unbelievably, the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and just under half have never compared rates from other carriers. Consumers in California could pocket 35% a year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t believe the amount of money they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
Due to the abundance of online and local companies to choose from, it is very difficult to locate the cheapest company.
How Insurers Determine Volkswagen e-Golf Insurance Premiums
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that help calculate your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with cheaper rates.
Discounts for married drivers – Walking down the aisle can get you a discount on insurance. Having a spouse may mean you are more mature than a single person and insurance companies like that being married results in fewer claims.
Performance impacts insurance prices – The performance of the car you are insuring makes a huge difference in your premium level. The most favorable rates are generally reserved for the lowest performance passenger cars, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price. Since the Volkswagen e-Golf falls in the compact car class, rates will be the same to a little lower as compared to the average rate in San Diego.
Keep insurance claims to a minimum – Companies in California generally give cheaper rates to drivers who are claim-free. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your insurance policy is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
Vocation can influence prices – Jobs like judges, social workers and dentists have higher premiums than the average policyholder because of job stress and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations like professors, athletes and homemakers get better rates.
Do women or men drive better? – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that females are better drivers. Females and males get in at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but males cause more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more costly citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
Where you call home – Having an address in a small town can save you money when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer people means fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims People in densely populated areas tend to have more road rage incidents and longer commutes to work. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
Better prices on vehicles with better crash test results – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. The safest vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can result in lower premiums.
Commute or pleasure use – The more you drive each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of insurance companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s a good idea to make sure your insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven. Having the wrong rating on your e-Golf may be wasting your money.
When comparison shopping, obtaining a wide range of quotes gives you a better chance of getting a lower rate than you’re paying now.
The car insurance companies shown below offer free rate quotes in San Diego, CA. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Big names are not always cheapest
Companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm consistently run television, radio, and online ads. All the ads make the point that you’ll save big if you switch your coverage to them. How can each company sell you cheaper insurance coverage? This is the way they can do it.
Insurance providers give the best rates for the type of customer that will add to their bottom line. One example of this type of driver could be between the ages of 30 and 50, has never had a policy lapse, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Anyone that hits that “sweet spot” will get the preferred premium rates in San Diego and will also save when switching.
Potential customers who fall outside this stringent profile will see higher premiums which usually ends up with the customer buying from someone else. The ads say “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” will save that much if they switch. This is how companies can truthfully lure you into getting a quote.
This emphasizes why you should get a wide range of price quotes. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which company will have the best Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in San Diego.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Volkswagen in San Diego, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Volkswagen e-Golf has a lien holder, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volkswagen at an extremely high rate and make you pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It also can pay for medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a recent study, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Take policy discounts and save on Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in San Diego
Buying insurance is not cheap, but there may be some discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Sign Early and Save – Some insurance companies give discounts for renewing your policy before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not really a discount, but some companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO may permit one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you haven’t had any claims for a certain period of time.
- Accident Free – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims have much lower rates as compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure multiple vehicles with the same insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save up to 40% or more on their San Diego auto insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Home Ownership Discount – Being a homeowner can help you save on insurance because it requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper because new model year vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Multi-line Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give lower premium rates if you buy some life insurance too.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
Insurance companies who may offer these money-saving discounts are:
Before buying, ask every company to apply every possible discount. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders in San Diego. To see a list of insurance companies with the best Volkswagen e-Golf insurance discounts in San Diego, click here to view.
Auto insurance agents are trained to help
Many drivers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find lower premium rates and still have an agent to talk to. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is important particularly in San Diego.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your business. You won’t even need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. You can most likely find cheaper rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
If you want a local agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures to choose from. Insurance agencies in San Diego can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents often have affiliation with several companies so they have the ability to put coverage through many different car insurance companies and find you the best rates. If premiums increase, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to compare the most rates.
Featured below is a small list of independent agents in San Diego who can help you get free car insurance quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. These agents are well trained on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage.
The following are San Diego exclusive insurance agents who can help you get rate quotes.
Picking an insurance agency should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- How long has their agency been in business in San Diego?
- What discounts might you be missing?
After talking to the agent and getting acceptable answers to these questions as well as cheaper e-Golf insurance quotes, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles. Keep in mind policyholders can cancel your policy for any reason so never feel that you are obligated to the car insurance policy with no way to switch.
Affordable auto insurance premiums are possible
As you shop your coverage around, it’s a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Cheaper auto insurance in San Diego is available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so you need to shop San Diego auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not have the ability to get quotes online and usually these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
Additional detailed information can be read at these sites:
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for First-time Drivers in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60 in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)