Do you want to learn how to find cheaper Saturn Astra insurance in San Diego? Did a good deal turn into overpriced Saturn Astra insurance in San Diego? Don’t sweat it because many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out.
Inconceivable but true, the majority of drivers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. California consumers could save an average of approximately 35% each year just by comparing rates, but they just don’t understand the amount of savings they would get if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Having so many companies to choose from that have affordable insurance for a Saturn Astra in San Diego, it is hard for the average consumer to find a more affordable insurance company.
These five discounts can lower your car insurance rates
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but a few must be manually applied prior to getting the savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a class that teaches safe driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break on your next renewal.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride. Any amount of discount will bring down your premiums.
Car insurance companies that may include these discounts include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent the best way to save money. Some discounts may not be available in San Diego.
To get cheaper San Diego auto insurance quotes, there a variety of ways of comparing rates from different companies. The recommended way to compare rates consists of shopping online.
Comparison shopping price quotes online is easy and it makes it a waste of time to go to all the different San Diego insurance agencies. Quoting and buying Saturn Astra insurance online eliminates the middleman unless you’re the type of person who wants the trained guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to comparison shop your insurance online but purchase the actual policy in an agency. It’s important to know that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps locate a lower rate than you’re paying now.
The following companies have been selected to offer quotes in San Diego, CA. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the cheapest price.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When quoting and comparing insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
- Am I covered if I hit my neighbor’s mailbox?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- What is GAP insurance?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Does my Saturn Astra qualify for pleasure use?
Compare prices but buy from a neighborhood San Diego auto insurance agent
A lot of people still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. An additional benefit of comparing auto insurance online is you may find cheap auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to insurance agents in San Diego who will give you quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact an agency because prices are sent instantly to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates AND a local agent. If you wish to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best company is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- If they are an independent agency in San Diego, which companies do they recommend?
- Which family members are covered?
- Does the agent help file claims?
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local insurance agency, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they function. Auto insurance agents can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only write with one company and examples are Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in San Diego that can give you comparison quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to do anything.
When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to include price quotes from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below are independent agents in San Diego who can help you get comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Richard Turner Insurance Agency
3443 Camino del Rio S #221 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 296-6222 – View Map
Car insurance in California serves several purposes
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Saturn Astra in San Diego, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Saturn Astra, almost all lenders will force you to buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Saturn at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Saturn Astra. Insurance will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver overpays more than $830 a year so compare rate quotes once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Auto insurance specifics
Understanding the coverages of auto insurance helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Auto insurance terms can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are the normal coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like colliding with a tree, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a building. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your Astra to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like falling objects, fire damage, theft, damage from getting keyed and damage from flooding. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see limits of 15/30/5 which means a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000.
Liability coverage pays for things such as pain and suffering, structural damage and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
Medical costs insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for expenses for things like prosthetic devices, nursing services and EMT expenses. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Saturn Astra.
Since many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
Don’t give up on cheaper premiums
When you buy San Diego auto insurance online, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut collision coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Cost effective Saturn Astra insurance can be bought on the web and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop San Diego auto insurance with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
More tips and info about insurance is available in the articles below: