I can’t think of anyone who rejoices having to buy car insurance, especially when they could find better rates elsewhere.
Statistics show that a large majority of car insurance policyholders in California kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for more than four years, and almost half have never compared quotes from other companies. Many drivers in America could save an average of almost $850 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to find cheaper insurance by shopping around.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive increase brand awareness with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have insurance now, you will surely be able to reduce premiums using the techniques covered below. Choosing the best rates in San Diego is really quite easy. Nevertheless, California drivers must learn the way companies determine premium rates and use it to find better rates.
All major car insurance companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive allow you to get price estimates on their websites. Getting online quotes for Hummer H3 insurance in San Diego is fairly simple as you just type in your coverage information as requested by the quote form. When the form is submitted, their system obtains information on your driving record and credit history and returns pricing information based on the information you submitted. The ability to get online price quotes for Hummer H3 insurance in San Diego streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s also necessary to perform this step if you want to get the lowest payment possible.
In order to find out what other companies charge, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you enter the insurance coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have rate quotes based on identical coverages.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in California. If the list has multiple companies, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|H3 Adventure Package 4WD||$270||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,436||$120|
|H3 Luxury Package 4WD||$416||$792||$450||$26||$134||$1,818||$152|
|H3 Alpha 4WD||$338||$536||$450||$26||$134||$1,484||$124|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can decrease or increase price quotes greatly.
Higher deductibles save money
The example below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can affect Hummer H3 premium costs for different ages of insureds. The rates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Why you need auto insurance
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in San Diego, buying auto insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Hummer for a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Hummer gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially with large liability claims. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $850 per year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to save money.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Auto insurance providers like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive seem to constantly run ads in print and on television. All the companies make the point that people will save if you just switch to them. How does each company claim to save you money? It’s all in how they say it.
Many companies have underwriting criteria for the type of customer that will not have excessive claims. An example of this type of driver might be described as a married female, has a clean driving record, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. A customer getting a price quote that matches those criteria will get low car insurance rates and have a good chance to save when they switch companies.
Potential insureds who cannot meet those standards may be required to pay more expensive rates which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ads say “drivers who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” can save as much as they claim. That’s why companies can truthfully make those claims. Because every company is different, you really need to do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It’s impossible to know which auto insurance company will have the lowest Hummer H3 insurance in San Diego.
Do you qualify for discounts on Hummer H3 insurance in San Diego?
Auto insurance companies do not advertise the entire discount list very well, so we took the time to find a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy San Diego car insurance online.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you could save at least 10% off all policies.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Insureds who allow driving data submission to study driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system may see discounts if they have good driving habits.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on San Diego car insurance quote in comparison to policyholders that have many claims.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car model may earn a small discount since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving may be able to save a few bucks on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades may save as much as 25% on a San Diego car insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
As a footnote on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
A few popular companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good student, defensive driver, air bags, multi-vehicle, good driver, and TimeAway discount.
- Nationwide offers discounts for family plan, anti-theft, multi-policy, good student, business or organization, accident-free, and Farm Bureau membership.
- MetLife discounts include multi-policy, good student, defensive driver, accident-free, and claim-free.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include teen driver, 55 and older, air bags, anti-lock brakes, early bird, automatic seat belts, and driver training.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for early shopping, switch companies, bundle discounts, mature driver, electronic funds transfer, and homeowner.
- Allstate may offer discounts for farm vehicle, 55 and retired, multi-policy, premier discount, senior citizen, and resident student.
When quoting, ask each company or agent how you can save money. A few discounts may not be available in your state.
Insurance agents near you
Certain consumers still prefer to go talk to an agent. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in San Diego who can give free rate quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to find an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to you. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific auto insurance provider, just visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Which family members are covered?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
If you want to use a local insurance agency, there are a couple of different agency structures that you can choose from. Agencies in San Diego are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company like Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. These agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in San Diego who may provide you with price quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are not employed by one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to do anything. When comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you get several quotes from independent agents to maximize your price options.
Shown below are independent agents in San Diego that are able to give price quotes.
Coverages available on your insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverage types found on most insurance policies.
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things like driving through your garage door, colliding with another moving vehicle and colliding with a tree. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible on your H3 to get cheaper collision coverage.
This coverage can cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. It protects YOU from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 15/30/5 that means you have a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers claims like attorney fees, emergency aid, medical services, pain and suffering and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many California drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a bird, damage from flooding, damage from getting keyed and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for short-term medical expenses for things like rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits and prosthetic devices. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Quote often and quote early
When buying insurance coverage, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Budget-conscious Hummer H3 insurance is possible both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are San Diego Car Insurance Quotes for Low Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Diego Auto Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenagers in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Drivers with Accidents in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for State Employees in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Diego Auto Insurance for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Diego Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Teenage Females in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)