Do you want to learn how to find lower-priced Ford Expedition insurance in San Diego? No sane person enjoys paying for car insurance, in particular when the cost is way too high.
Sadly, a large majority of consumers have bought car insurance from the same company for four years or more, and virtually 40% of consumers have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. With the average premium in California being $1,400, drivers can cut their rates by roughly $470 a year, but they just feel it’s too hard to save money by comparing rate quotes. Many insurers vie to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare car insurance companies to get the best price available on Ford Expedition insurance in San Diego.
It’s smart to compare rates at least once a year because prices tend to go up over time. Just because you had the lowest price on Ford Expedition insurance in San Diego a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of wrong information about Expedition insurance on the internet, but we’re going to give you some excellent ideas to find affordable car insurance in San Diego.
If you have a current auto insurance policy or just want to reduce your rates, follow these tips to reduce premiums and possibly find even better coverage. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in San Diego is much easier if you know where to start. Consumers just need to know the tricks to compare company rates online.
How Your Expedition Insurance Premiums are Determined
It’s important that you understand some of the things that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you better car insurance rates.
- Does your vocation raise your rates? – Do you work in a high-stress field? Jobs like lawyers, executives and miners are shown to have higher premium rates because of job stress and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, jobs like farmers, athletes and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Save money by having excellent credit – Your credit history factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Therefore, if your credit is not that good, you may save money insuring your Ford Expedition by spending a little time repairing your credit. Drivers with excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with lower credit ratings.
- Prevent your car from being stolen – Owning a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Advanced theft deterrents such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all aid in stopping car theft.
- Liability coverage is cheap – The liability section of your policy is the protection in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Put fewer miles on your vehicle – The more miles you rack up on your Ford each year the more you’ll pay to insure it. Almost all companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Autos that have low annual miles receive lower rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Incorrect rating for your Expedition is throwing money out the window. It’s always a good idea to double check that your car insurance policy states annual mileage, because it can save money.
- Mature drivers pay less – More mature drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable.Young drivers have been known to be easily distracted when driving so car insurance rates are higher.
- File a claims and pay more – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Companies in California award the lowest premiums to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Ford Expedition insurance claim data – Car insurance companies use statistical claims data when they file their rates in each state. Vehicles that statistically have increased losses will have higher premium rates. The table below shows the collected loss data for Ford Expedition vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is a value of 100. Numbers under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values that are above 100 show a trend for more claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Ford Expedition Models
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Expedition 4dr 2WD 67 88 82 55 45 70 Ford Expedition 4dr 4WD 70 98 90 54 62 56 Ford Expedition EL 4dr 2WD 74 104 97 52 Ford Expedition EL 4dr 4WD 88 96 110 63 60 96
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
The method we recommend to compare car insurance company rates for Ford Expedition insurance in San Diego is to understand most larger insurance companies pay for the opportunity to quote your coverage. All you need to do is give the companies some data like the make and model of your vehicles, types of safety features, daily mileage, and whether you have decent credit. That rating data gets transmitted to many highly-rated insurers and you will receive price estimates within a short period of time.
To start a rate quote now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance in San Diego.
The companies in the list below offer free quotes in San Diego, CA. If the list has multiple companies, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Expedition SSV 2WD||$294||$464||$394||$24||$118||$1,294||$108|
|Expedition XLT 2WD||$300||$524||$488||$28||$146||$1,486||$124|
|Expedition SSV 4WD||$204||$372||$424||$26||$128||$1,154||$96|
|Expedition XLT 4WD||$242||$386||$354||$20||$106||$1,108||$92|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD||$300||$618||$488||$28||$146||$1,580||$132|
|Expedition Limited 2WD||$390||$744||$386||$22||$116||$1,658||$138|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD||$370||$834||$424||$26||$128||$1,782||$149|
|Expedition King Ranch 4WD||$476||$834||$508||$30||$152||$2,000||$167|
|Expedition King Ranch 2WD||$478||$810||$376||$22||$112||$1,798||$150|
|Expedition Limited 4WD||$266||$426||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in San Diego location which can lower or raise coverage rates substantially.
Physical damage deductible comparison
The illustration below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can affect Ford Expedition insurance rates for different age groups. The premiums are based on a married male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
How much more does full coverage cost?
The diagram below examines Ford Expedition annual premium costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The prices are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $250 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline for phasing out physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Ford Expedition replacement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $5,000 after you pay the deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $500 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not financially feasible. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though San Diego Expedition insurance rates can get expensive, buying car insurance serves several important purposes.
First, almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your car, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Ford at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
Third, car insurance protects both your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Expedition definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. As of last year, the average driver in California overpays as much as $700 annually so shop around at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Ford Expedition insurance in San Diego
Some providers don’t list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details both well-publicized as well as the least known credits available to you.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories are rewarded with significantly better rates on San Diego car insurance quote in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars that have anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades may save as much as 25% on a San Diego car insurance quote. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- College Student – Youth drivers who are attending college and don’t have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying insurance on a new vehicle can get you a discount because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down on your Ford could earn lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying a policy with several vehicles with the same auto insurance company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- GEICO offers discounts for multi-vehicle, air bags, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, and membership and employees.
- Travelers includes discounts for student away at school, continuous insurance, IntelliDrive, save driver, hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-car, and good student.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for safe driver, multi-policy, renewal discount, good student, and driver training.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for safety features, hybrid vehicle, multi-car, multi-policy, new vehicle discount, and good student.
- American Family discounts include accident-free, good driver, TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, good student, and air bags.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, homeowner, and good student.
If you need lower rates, check with every insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts might not be offered on policies in every state. If you would like to see a list of providers who offer cheap Ford Expedition insurance quotes in San Diego, follow this link.
Car insurance agents can help
A lot of people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheaper prices and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in San Diego who will gladly provide quotes for your business. You won’t even need to find an agent since price quotes are sent to you instantly. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific car insurance provider, just jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Does the company have a local claim office in San Diego?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
If you would like to find a good San Diego insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Agencies in San Diego are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it’s good to learn the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These agents can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so you might not find the best rates. These agents are well schooled on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following are San Diego exclusive insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance: Jing Zeng Financial and Insurance Service
7323 Convoy Ct # B111 – San Diego, CA 92111 – (858) 268-7010 – View Map
Rob Robinson – State Farm Insurance Agent
9939 Hibert St #203 – San Diego, CA 92131 – (619) 275-6000 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not limited to a single company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they quote lower rates, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When comparison shopping, you will want to get insurance quotes from independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Shown below are San Diego independent agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
Leavitt Group – Leavitt Insurance Agency of San Diego
3636 Nobel Dr #100 – San Diego, CA 92122 – (858) 436-2441 – View Map
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- Is my Ford Expedition covered for smoke damage?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Affordable car insurance premiums are possible
Cheaper car insurance in San Diego is possible online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies may not have online price quotes and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don’t skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where an insured cut full coverage and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Additional detailed information can be read in the articles below:
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Veterans in San Diego? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in San Diego? (FAQ)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)