I can’t think of anyone who enjoys paying for auto insurance, especially when they know the prices are way too high.
It’s hard to believe, but a large majority of consumers kept their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. The average driver in San Diego can save roughly $470 each year just by comparing rates, but they don’t want to take the time to go online and compare rates.
Big companies like Allstate, Progressive and GEICO all claim big savings, bombarding you with advertising and it is difficult to not get sucked in by the cute commercials and do the work needed to find the best deal.
You should take the time to do price comparisons occasionally because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you had the best deal on Chevy Sonic insurance in San Diego a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. There is a lot of wrong information about Sonic insurance online but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some proven techniques to reduce your auto insurance bill.
Companies offering cheap Chevy Sonic rates in San Diego, CA
The car insurance companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in San Diego, CA. If more than one company is shown, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Educated Choices Result in Lower Insurance Prices
Many things are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but other criteria are less obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
The following are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate your premiums.
- Eliminate unneeded extra policy coverages – There are a lot of extra add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t careful. Things like roadside assistance, high-cost glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are examples of these. They may sound like good ideas when talking to your agent, but if you’ve never needed them in the past eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money – Vehicles that have high safety ratings cost less to insure. Safer cars reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies which can result in lower premiums.
- Liability insurance is critical – The liability coverage on your policy is the protection if ever you are responsible for an accident. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. It is affordable coverage when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Where you reside factors in – Having an address in small towns and rural areas may provide you with better prices when insuring your vehicles. City drivers have congested traffic and longer commute times. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims.
- Chevy Sonic insurance loss statistics – Car insurance companies study historical loss data as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that the data shows to have increased claim numbers or amounts will have a higher cost to insure.
The next table illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Chevy Sonic vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is considered to be 100. Numbers under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentage values above 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Sonic Models
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Sonic 104 132 91 167 189 159
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
These discounts can lower your auto insurance quotes
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but there may be some discounts to help offset the cost. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but some discounts are required to be requested specifically before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you are just wasting money.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Paperwork-free – Some of the larger companies will give a small break for completing your application on the web.
- Waiver for an Accident – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Driver Safety – Completing a class that teaches safe driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Mature Driver Discount – Mature drivers may qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Active Military Service – Being on active deployment in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring more than one vehicle with the same auto insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current Sonic insurance policy expiring. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
Don’t be surprised that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Even though it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- State Farm may include discounts for student away at school, good student, multiple autos, passive restraint, multiple policy, anti-theft, and defensive driving training.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, multi-car, safety features, new graduate, and newly retired.
- American Family has savings for early bird, multi-vehicle, air bags, good driver, and good student.
- Progressive includes discounts for homeowner, good student, multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for bundle discounts, electronic funds transfer, pay in full, distant student, homeowner, business and professional, and switch companies.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for group or association, teen driver, paid in full, multi-policy, and good student.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include safe driver, anti-lock brakes, drive less, multi-car, homeowner, and bundle discounts.
Before buying, ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. To see companies with significant discounts in San Diego, click this link.
Exclusive and independent insurance agents
A small number of people still like to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance rates and also buy local. Supporting local agencies is still important in San Diego.
By using this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to you. You’ll get the best rates without requiring a lot of work. If you wish to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you can always navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reliable insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Car insurance agents are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so they can insure your vehicles with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to do anything.
If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you compare quotes from independent agents for the best price selection.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in San Diego that may be able to provide competitive price quotes.
Leavitt Group – Leavitt Insurance Agency of San Diego
3636 Nobel Dr #100 – San Diego, CA 92122 – (858) 436-2441 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in San Diego that are able to give price quote information.
Picking the best insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap quote. Any agent in San Diego should be willing to answer these questions.
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
Persistent drivers can save
More affordable insurance in San Diego can be bought both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies do not offer online quoting and usually these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
When getting San Diego car insurance quotes online, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional learning opportunities
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Veterans in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)