Overpriced insurance in San Diego can empty your funds and make it impossible to make ends meet.
Astonishing but true, nearly 70% of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never quoted rates to find affordable coverage. Many consumers in California could save an average of roughly $470 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t know the large savings they would see if they moved their coverage to a different company.
There is such a variety of insurers to choose from, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, more choices can make it harder to compare company pricing for Acura ILX insurance in San Diego.
Locating the best insurance company for you in San Diego is much easier if you have a good place to start. If you’re already insured, you will definitely be able to shop for the lowest rates using the tips covered below. Nevertheless, California drivers need to have an understanding of the way insurance companies compete online.
Lower-cost San Diego car insurance quotes with discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you might find some hidden discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some discounts will apply when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Driver Safety – Taking time to complete a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- San Diego Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in San Diego can help you save on car insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure all your vehicles with one company qualifies for this discount.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with cheaper prices.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies may permit one accident before your rates go up with the catch being you have to be claim-free before the accident.
- Claim-Free Discount – Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on San Diego auto insurance quote in comparison to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, you aren’t that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts can be read below.
- The Hartford offers discounts for bundle, good student, vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, anti-theft, air bag, and driver training.
- American Family may offer discounts for good student, good driver, multi-vehicle, accident-free, bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, and air bags.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, multi-policy, online signing, good student, and homeowner.
- Travelers offers premium reductions for multi-policy, good student, hybrid/electric vehicle, continuous insurance, and IntelliDrive.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for good student, switch companies, electronic funds transfer, youthful driver, bundle discounts, teen driver, and alternative fuel.
- USAA has discounts for good student, family discount, multi-policy, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, loyalty savings, and driver training.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include multi-policy, exclusive group savings, safety features, new vehicle discount, and multi-car.
If you need the cheapest Acura ILX rate quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area. To view companies who offer discounts in San Diego, click this link.
The method we recommend to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to know most of the larger companies provide online access to quote your coverage. The only thing you need to do is give them rating details including whether you are married, whether the vehicles are used for commuting, deductibles desired, and your general credit rating. That rating data gets sent immediately to multiple top-rated companies and they respond with quotes immediately.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and enter your zip code.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in California. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
How Insurance Companies Calculate Acura ILX Insurance Rates
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent like where you live or your vehicle rating. An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that could help you find cheaper rates.
Shown below are just a few of the factors used by insurance companies to determine your rates.
- Car plus home equals more savings – Most insurance companies provide discounts to clients that have more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. The discount can add up to ten or even fifteen percent. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal. You may still be able to save even more by insuring with multiple companies.
- Get married and get better premiums – Being married helps lower the price when buying auto insurance. It means you’re more financially stable and it’s statistically proven that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Age of drivers impacts costs – Older drivers are more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.Teen drivers have been known to be easily distracted when driving with friends therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Credit score impacts prices – Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in determining your rates. So if your credit leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your Acura ILX if you clean up your credit. Insureds that have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower ratings.
- Increase comp and collision deductibles and save – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Some coverage claims are running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend if a claim is determined to be covered. The more expense you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the better rate you will receive.
- Acura ILX claim data – Car insurance companies factor in insurance loss information when determining insurance rates. Vehicles that the data determines to have increased losses will be charged more to insure. The table below outlines the historical loss data for Acura ILX vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is represented as 100. Values under 100 indicate better than average losses, while values that are above 100 point to more claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Acura ILX Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Acura ILX 96 94 83 112 111 97
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When it comes to the best auto insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Who is covered when they drive my Acura ILX?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Shop online but buy locally
Certain consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is sent to agents in your area who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to do any legwork since price quotes are sent directly to you. You can get cheaper insurance rates without a big time investment. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific insurance provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on an provider requires more thought than just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Is there a local claims center in San Diego?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
If you prefer to buy insurance from a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agents may be either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive are contracted to one company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in San Diego willing to provide rate quotes.
Steve Elder – State Farm Insurance Agent
9225 Mira Mesa Blvd #208d – San Diego, CA 92126 – (858) 271-8928 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to do anything. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we highly recommend that you get several quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in San Diego that can give you rate quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Richard Turner Insurance Agency
3443 Camino del Rio S #221 – San Diego, CA 92108 – (619) 296-6222 – View Map
Upon receiving good responses to any questions you have as well as an affordable premium quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found an auto insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles.
Auto insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it can be expensive, paying for auto insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your ILX, most banks will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your Acura at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Acura but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Acura as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver overpays more than $700 annually so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Lower rates by being persistent
People change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, poor customer service, delays in paying claims or not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, switching insurance companies is not as hard as you think.
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can shop for Acura ILX insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the best price on insurance is with a small mutual company.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s a bad idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about insurance in California is available at these links:
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)