Locating better insurance prices for a new or used Acura RDX in California can be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks and make it easy. There are both good and bad ways to compare insurance rates so you’re going to learn the quickest way to get price quotes for a new or used Acura and locate the best price possible either online or from San Diego insurance agents.
You should make it a habit to check insurance prices once or twice a year because insurance rates change quite often. Even if you got the lowest premium rates on Acura RDX insurance in San Diego a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the best methods to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
If you’re already insured or need a new policy, you can follow these tips to get lower rates while maximizing coverage. Finding the best-priced policy in San Diego is not as confusing as people think. You just need to use the tricks to shop their coverage around using one simple form.
Reducing your Acura RDX insurance rates is a fairly straight forward process. The only thing you need to do is invest a little time to compare rate quotes provided by online insurance companies.
The following companies can provide quotes in California. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|RDX Technology Package 2WD
|RDX Technology Package AWD
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Rates do not factor in specific location which can modify coverage prices significantly.
Higher deductibles save money
The information below shows how different deductible levels and can affect Acura RDX insurance premiums for different age categories. The prices are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
How much more does full coverage cost?
The illustration below examines Acura RDX insurance rates when comparing full coverage to liability only. Data assumes no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, single female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no exact rule to exclude physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s say your Acura RDX book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $400 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some conditions where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Verify you’re earning every discount
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize every discount available in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to you. If you are not receiving all the discounts available, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Student Driver Training – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver’s education in high school.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in San Diego can help you save on insurance since home ownership requires personal responsibility.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to analyze driving manner by using a telematics device such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring multiple cars on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Low Miles Discount – Driving fewer miles can qualify you for cheaper insurance rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Discount for Life Insurance – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discount if you purchase life insurance.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm discounts include defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, passive restraint, driver’s education, and multiple autos.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include Farm Bureau membership, business or organization, anti-theft, multi-policy, family plan, and defensive driving.
- GEICO has discounts for air bags, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, military active duty, seat belt use, membership and employees, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA offers discounts including good student, multi-policy, pay-in-full, education and occupation, multi-car, AAA membership discount, and good driver.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including student driver, air bags, 55 and older, defensive driver, driver training, early bird, and theft prevention.
- The Hartford may include discounts for vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, good student, bundle, air bag, and driver training.
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Some credits may not be available in San Diego. To view providers with the best Acura RDX insurance discounts in San Diego, click this link.
When should I get advice from a local insurance agent?
Many people prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is just fine! Good insurance agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in San Diego who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to you. If you wish to compare prices for a specific company, you would need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Picking a insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Are they full-time agents?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
Smart Consumers Can Lower Their Insurance Prices
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that play a part in calculating insurance rates. If you know what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that could help you find big savings. Multiple criteria are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, but other factors are not quite as obvious like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine prices.
Costs impacted by vehicle usage – The higher the miles on your Acura each year the more you will pay for insurance. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars that have low annual miles can get a lower rate than vehicles that have high annual mileage. A policy that improperly rates your RDX may be costing you higher rates. It’s always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet states annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Comp and collision deductibles are a factor – Physical damage coverage, aka comp and collision, protects your Acura from damage. Some coverage claims are a broken windshield, hail damage, and burglary. Your deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The more money you’re willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
Does your occupation cost you more? – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers such as lawyers, business owners and financial analysts are shown to have the highest average rates attributed to high stress levels and long work hours. Other occupations like professors, historians and retirees have lower than average premiums.
Never let your insurance policy lapse – Having a gap between insurance policy dates will be a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will rates go up, not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine. You could then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California DMV.
Liability coverage safeguards assets – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance kicks in if ever a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
Bundle policies with the same company – Lots of insurance companies provide a discount to policyholders that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you may still want to check prices from other companies to ensure the best deal.
Rates are affected by your address – Being located in areas with lower population can save you money when buying insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes means less chance of accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Residents of big cities tend to have more traffic problems and longer commute times. More time commuting can result in more accidents.
Insurance losses for an Acura RDX – Insurers take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to help calculate premium rates. Models that the data shows to have a trend towards higher claims will have increased rates. The table below shows the compiled insurance loss statistics for Acura RDX vehicles.
For each coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles compiled together is set at 100. Numbers below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Acura RDX Models
|Vehicle Make and Model
|Acura RDX 4dr 2WD
|Acura RDX 4dr 4WD
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance is not optional in California
Even though San Diego RDX insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Acura RDX has a lien holder, most banks will require that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Acura for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your Acura and your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Acura gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so you should quote rates every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
One last thing to lower rates
Consumers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as high prices, being labeled a high risk driver, extreme rates for teen drivers and policy non-renewal. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice full coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Low-cost Acura RDX insurance in San Diego is attainable on the web as well as from independent agents in San Diego, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies don’t offer internet price quotes and these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
To learn more, take a look at the resources below: