Trying to find cheaper insurance for a Ford Thunderbird in California can normally be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to make it easier.
There are both good and bad ways to buy auto insurance and you need to know the absolute fastest way to quote coverages on a Ford and get the cheapest rates either online or from San Diego insurance agents.
Astonishing but true, a large majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for more than four years, and just under half have never compared rates with other companies. The average driver in California could save roughly $470 every year by just shopping around, but they feel it’s too difficult to find cheaper rates by getting comparison quotes.
If you are already insured or just want to save money, use these money-saving tips to find better prices and possibly find even better coverage. Quoting and buying the cheapest insurance policy in San Diego is quite easy. Shoppers just have to use the best way to quote multiple rates online from multiple companies.
Most major insurance companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive give prices on their websites. This process is quite easy as you just type in your personal and coverage information into the quote form. After you complete the form, their quoting system collects information on your driving record and credit history and generates pricing information based on these factors.
This simplifies rate comparisons, and it is imperative to get many rate quotes if you want to find the cheapest possible prices on insurance.
To find out what other companies charge, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you type in your coverages identical to your current policy. This ensures you will get a rate comparison for similar coverage.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in San Diego, CA. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you click on several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Protect your Ford Thunderbird and other assets
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Ford in San Diego, paying for car insurance is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Thunderbird has a lien holder, most banks will have a requirement that you have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Ford at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Ford gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so smart consumers compare quotes at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
You Can Change Your Insurance Prices
When buying car insurance it’s important to understand the different types of things that help calculate the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in lower premium levels. Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, but others are more obscure like where you live or your commute time.
Drive lots and pay more – The more you drive each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars left parked in the garage cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Thunderbird may be wasting your money. Double check that your car insurance declarations sheet correctly shows the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Insurance prices and vehicle performance – The performance level of the vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. Due to the fact that the Ford Thunderbird is classified as a passenger car, rates will be similar in price or lower when compared to the average rates in San Diego. Lower cost passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Single drivers take more risk – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money compared to being single. It means you’re more responsible and statistics show drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Does car insurance cost less for gals? – The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better at driving than males. Both genders cause fender benders in similar numbers, but males tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving.
Always have car insurance – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a sure-fire way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you fines or a revoked license.
Don’t overlook these Ford Thunderbird insurance discounts
Some companies don’t always advertise every discount they offer in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details a few of the more well known and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you don’t get every credit possible, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction with a few auto insurance companies.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Distant College Student Discount – Children who live away from home at college and do not have a car could get you a discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because maintaining a house is proof of financial responsibility.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger auto insurance companies have a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- E-sign – A few larger companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application on your computer.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Despite the appearance that you could get a free auto insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Popular auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- The Hartford offers discounts including good student, defensive driver, air bag, vehicle fuel type, bundle, and anti-theft.
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for professional/association, low natural disaster claims, good student, age of vehicle, multi-car, multi-policy, and ease of repair.
- GEICO has discounts for air bags, anti-theft, membership and employees, defensive driver, good student, and daytime running lights.
- AAA includes discounts for good driver, multi-policy, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good student, and pay-in-full.
- State Farm has savings for passive restraint, good student, good driver, multiple policy, and multiple autos.
If you want affordable San Diego car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in every state. To locate auto insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in San Diego, click here.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When selecting coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance needs to address that.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation may require specific advice.
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in California?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Can’t I compare rate quotes from local San Diego car insurance agents?
A lot of people just want to go talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance quotes and still choose a local agent. Buying insurance from small agencies is important particularly in San Diego.
By using this short form, the coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in San Diego who will give competitive quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If you wish to get a comparison quote for a specific company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you need to find a local insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents to choose from. Agents can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can do a good job, but we need to point out the difference in how they write coverage since it can affect which type of agent you select.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part. When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to compare quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection. Most independent agents also contract with mutual insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in San Diego that may be able to give you comparison quotes.
- Stanley Wong Insurance
4619 Convoy St # C – San Diego, CA 92111 – (858) 569-0383 – View Map
- Nickie Heath Insurance Agency
16855 W Bernardo Dr # 230 – San Diego, CA 92127 – (858) 487-3737 – View Map
- Springbrook Insurance Agency
10650 Treena St #105 – San Diego, CA 92131 – (858) 391-3001 ext. 105 – View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and some examples include State Farm or Allstate. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are trained well on what they offer which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Many people buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agents in San Diego who can help you get price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: PGC Insurance Agency
6919 Paradise Valley Rd, # A9 – San Diego, CA 92139 – (619) 773-2300 – View Map
- Bob Francy III – State Farm Insurance Agent
11885 Carmel Mountain Rd #905 – San Diego, CA 92128 – (858) 451-1915 – View Map
- Duane Werner – State Farm Insurance Agent
6663 El Cajon Blvd j – San Diego, CA 92115 – (619) 668-5414 – View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in California?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in San Diego?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
Cheaper car insurance is a realistic goal
In this article, we presented many tips how you can save on Ford Thunderbird insurance in San Diego. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even be surprised to find that the best prices are with a small mutual company. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Some insurance providers may not have price quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents. Budget-conscious Ford Thunderbird insurance can be purchased on the web in addition to many San Diego insurance agents, so you need to compare both to have the best selection.
More information is located at the links below
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in San Diego, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Male in San Diego? (FAQ)
- How Much is San Diego Car Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in San Diego? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Felons in San Diego? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)