Did a good deal turn out to be an expensive auto insurance policy? Don't feel bad because there are lots of people in the same boat.
Astonishng but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average premium in California being $1,400, drivers can save about $469 each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't understand how simple it is to shop their coverage around. Online insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive all claim big savings, bombarding you with advertising and it is challenging if not impossible to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and find the best price available.
If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you can use these techniques to buy cheaper insurance without reducing protection. Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in San Diego seems hard but is not really that difficult. Drivers just have to learn the proper methods to compare prices online.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some insurance providers don't necessarily list every available discount very well, so the list below details both well-publicized and also the lesser-known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy San Diego auto insurance online. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Accident Waiver - This one is not really a discount per se, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident without the usual rate increase if you have no claims before the accident.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver - Completing a course teaching defensive driver skills could save 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles could qualify for substantially lower premium rates.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- San Diego Homeowners Discount - Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance since owning and maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Driver Education Discount - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver's education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
The best car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, driver's education, good driver, and multiple autos.
- Esurance offers discounts for Pac-12 alumni, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, claim free, DriveSense, and defensive driver.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for newly retired, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, good student, multi-car, and new graduate.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including safe vehicle, paperless, good student, air bags, paid in full, and multiple vehicles.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
Before buying, ask all the companies how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts might not apply in your area. To find providers with the best discounts in California, click here to view.
Getting cheap car insurance pricing can be quick and easy. The only requirement is to invest a little time to compare rate quotes to find out which insurance company has affordable San Diego auto insurance quotes.
Getting free quotes online is quite simple, and it makes it obsolete to spend time driving to insurance agents' offices. Comparing online rate quotes eliminates the middleman unless you want the peace of mind that you can only get from talking to an agent. Drivers can compare the best prices online but buy the policy through an agent.
The companies shown below provide free rate quotes in California. If more than one company is shown, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the cheapest price.
When do I need an agent's advice?
When quoting and choosing the best car insurance coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Every insured's situation is different so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Am I covered when driving someone else's vehicle?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Local insurance agents
Certain consumers still like to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is sent to companies in San Diego that can give you free San Diego auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. If you wish to get a rate quote for a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on a provider is decision based upon more than just a low price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- How long has their agency been in business in San Diego?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
How much can you save?
We just covered a lot of techniques to get a better price on Chevy TrailBlazer insurance in San Diego. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may even discover the lowest car insurance rates are with some of the lesser-known companies. They may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Some insurance providers may not offer internet price quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agencies. Cheaper Chevy TrailBlazer insurance in San Diego can be purchased on the web as well as from insurance agents, so compare prices from both so you have a total pricing picture.
Additional information can be read at these links: